Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

madampolo's Avatar madampolo is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Layer Cake Fabric Size

I have never worked with a layer cake before. I bought two Tonga Treats Squares packages, each a different style. I am trying to make a Double Slice Layer Cake quilt like the MSQC video. When making the blocks this morning, I found that they are not uniformly cut at 10 inches. It isn't like they are a minimum of 10 inches either. Therefore, they did not stack well, and the blocks are uneven. I know I will need to square up, and it looks like they will square up to 9 inches easily. My square up ruler is 9 1/2 inches, so I can't use it. I am using my 12 inch square up ruler, and it is a lot more trouble to do so. My question is this: Do layer cakes sold by other manufacturers measure out to exactly 10 inches? Or, are they all about like this?

Since I bought two different Tonga-Treats packs, I mixed them together and made 45 blocks this morning for a 5 by 9 quilt. I will be adding boarders, once I get the blocks squared and then sewn together. It is going to be pretty, and it sure was easy!

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/pre-c...treasures.html

Judy~Ann's Avatar Judy~Ann is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer Cake Fabric Size

I have never had a problem with layer cakes not being a 10"x10" square. I'm sorry you are having this problem.... it really seems unfair when you purchase something and don't get what you expected. Please share your finished quilt with us??
    ~ Judy

When God adds a period, I'm trying very hard not to add a question mark!

GrammaBabs's Avatar GrammaBabs is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

that does seem rather unfair to quilters!!!

As usual, it a quality control issue... i know that if people don't report or complain,,, it just keeps on going and perhaps getting worse...don't hesitate to share this with the co. or place of purchase.... not in a nasty way (unless it's a huge issue).... but having worked CS for years... it's surprising how many people DO NOT report these things... so it just goes on...
    "Each day well-live and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

brook's Avatar brook is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had this with any of the layer cakes that I have bought. Sounds like you have a bad batch. Are both layer cakes this way? I would definitely call / write the co.
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Davidsgirl08's Avatar Davidsgirl08 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a big topic on another board it seems that it's only with the batiks. The other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem. I have seen some sites state that they may not be all the same size on the batiks. It should have been stated...just wanted you to know it wasn't just you...Happy quilting!!!
    If you look on the newer packs the label has a width size may vary warning..
    Last edited by Davidsgirl08; April 27th, 2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: addtional info

sunnyQLDmum's Avatar sunnyQLDmum is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this with a moda layer cake. 3 sides were perfect but the last side was cut on a slant so I only had a 9.5 inch square once I evened them up. The shop was happy to give me a new layer cake and also let me keep the wonky one.
    Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns