Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sasha Anzures's Avatar Sasha Anzures is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: How much do you buy?

Well i am still working on my first big quilt, (technically my second), but i have been building my stash for years...when i have seen a fabric i like at a great price i would buy six yards....now that im seriously doing quilting though i usually buy 2 yards , with coupons, and if i ABSOULUTELYLOVEGOTTAHAVEIT I will still get six yards!!! but i have alot of 2 yard cuts. ALOT!!!! and ALOT of quilts in my head i want to make with them!!!! Welcome and enjoy the fun of building your stash!!!!

buckeyequilter's Avatar buckeyequilter is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How much do you buy?

I usually buy 3 yards but if it's plain and can be used for backing I will usually buy about 7. I also pick up fat quarters and remnants.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter

I got a sewing machine for my husband! Good trade, huh?
    Groups:
    2014 UFO Challenge

Bubby's Avatar Bubby is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy 3 yards of the focus fabric so I can cut borders lengthwise and also use it in the blocks. Alll other fabrics to go with the focus fabric I buy 1 yard. If I find a terrific deal I will buy 6 yards so I have the option of using it as backing. Neutrals and blenders are always needed, so I buy according to what I can afford that day!
    Lord, help me to become the person my dogs think I am....

www.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Debbie MM is online now Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I too am building my stash since I just started quilting, thank you all for letting me know much I should buy, I have not been buying enough of the base colors. I now just need to start sewing what I have up

Quiltlover's Avatar Quiltlover is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It also depends on the type of quilter you tend to be. Myself, I usually make scrappy quilts and like to have lots of variety in a quilt. That being said, I have a ton of UFO projects. Every new pattern tempts me to try a block of it to see if I can put it together, like a puzzle that needs to be solved, tackled. Someone else on here mentioned this mindset. Hopefully, you are a starter, finisher. I'm easily distracted!!
    Now to what I was going to suggest to you. Once you consider your own quilting style, personality, that will influence how much of a particular print that you should buy. I would never end up using 6 yards of black, esp. a solid black. I know I have at least a yard of it and noticed that it picks up lint something awful and it's a good fabric. I have also search unsuccessfully for more of a fabric that I had just bought a FQ or remnant of and never found more and had to substitute another. Since I like scrappy quilts, substituting isn't a problem.
    Anyway, your own personality will dictate how much of a fabric you will want to buy. As I said, I'm unlikely to use a whole bolt of any fabric unless it is a neutral for a backing and even then, that's a lot for me to buy. So, consider everyone's advice and enjoy shopping. A quick note about what I'm doing at the moment.....my local quilt shop has a little basket of remnants packed in ziplock bags. Some might have 8 remants in it of coordinating prints or it might have 2 pieces of similar prints, etc. A recent purchase was of a red Civil War prints that I just love that was 1/2 yd. and another smaller piece of something that matched. This is a gorgeous CW fabric that I had not been able to find elsewhere and the little packs are only $3.00 so it was a great bargain!!
    Enjoy collecting!! Brenda

lilmouse's Avatar lilmouse is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also like scrappy quilts and usually will buy at minimum 1 yard and if I absolutely adore it I will buy 3 yards or more.....also love fat quarters and will buy those when they are on sale but only then....I buy good quality white muslin in 108 width and almost always buy either 10 yards or the entire bolt with a coupon of course!

lilmouse's Avatar lilmouse is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the muslin for my backing and use the scraps wherever I need some white for contrast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12