Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cat n bull's Avatar Cat n bull is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New sewing machine suggestions

I second the advice to go to a dealer, and seriously consider a used machine. You will get a lot more for your money.

My dealer sells Pfaff and Singer and something else but I am hooked on Pfaff's and don't even consider the other brands he has. I have LOVED all my Pfaff machines, and I have upgraded a few times. The dealer gives me great trade-in deals. There was not a single thing wrong with my traded in machines, I just wanted an upgrade.

He sells those traded in machines for very good prices, PLUS he guarantees them.
    Cathryn

janegb's Avatar janegb is offline Junior Member
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

you can go to KensSewingCenter.com online, I have purchased 3 different refurbished machines from him over the years. 25 year warranty. I saved at least $100.00 on my last Brother SQ9050 which has over 80 different stitches on it. I have 3 older model Singers (favorite is my 301), but am a BIG fan of Brother machines. I have one that is over 15 years old never been serviced, and still runs like a top. A Janome Dealer tried to sell me a Janome with only a few decorative stitches, I had to laugh, the price was way over the top.. and that Janome didn't even have as many stitches as my 1974 Riccar 401.

janegb's Avatar janegb is offline Junior Member
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother SQ9050. Its WONDERFUL!! I have another post here about it. You would not be disappointed if you purchased this machine.

Sue Shoff is offline Senior Member
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on your search - I recently purchased my second machine, first nice one. After much research I bought a Janome 3160 and I LOVE IT!! Lots of great 'user' options - stop/start button, that I now use instead of the foot pedal. It also has a button that cuts the thread, even a threader! It is worth every penny. The dealer also provided two free classes. I am basically a novice quilter, but has made lots of difference in the quality of seams, etc. Also this machine comes with numerous foots, for your sewing needs. Good luck and have fun!

Sewbee's Avatar Sewbee is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: New sewing machine suggestions

I don't think you will find a better NEW machine for under $500 than the Brother PC420-PRW. It has features and accessories usually found only on much higher end machines. I understand the logic for buying from a local quilt store/dealer when buying in the higher price range so you can take advantage of training, service and upgrades, etc. but your price range will be at the local Walmart, Sears stores etc. or online. The real issue is dealing with a store (local or online) that has a good return/refund policy. The manufacturer warranties will be covered the same.

New sewing machine suggestions-pc420prw_1_l.jpg

Check out the reviews on the Brother at Amazon. Current price is $418 with a Brother 25 year limited warranty, 1 year on labor, 2 years on electronics.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Limite.../dp/B000XE3FGO

This machine is universally high rated across the board. I bought my first PC420-PRW from Amazon 2 years ago and love it so much I bought a second one 5 months ago. I have one setup exclusively for quilting and the other for general piecing and sewing. It comes with more presser feet and accessories than most machines including a walking foot and darning foot for quilting. It has needle up/down, needle threader, knee lift for the presser foot, stop/start button, automatic thread cutter, speed control, drop feed dogs and 294 utility/decorative stitches.

Here is the official Brother website product page with all the specs listed in detail:

http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...W#.T51WOr9Ah7E

A list of Presser Feet and Accessories included in the box:

Buttonhole Foot, Overcasting Foot, Monogramming Foot, Zipper Foot, ZigZag Foot, Blind Stitch Foot, Button Fitting Foot, Walking Foot, Quilting Foot, Stitch Guide Foot, Adjustable zipper/piping foot, Non Stick Foot, Open Toe Foot, Knee lifter, accessory pouch with seam ripper, needle set, twin needle, cleaning brush, eyelet punch, screwdrivers (2), spool caps (3), extra spool pin, grid sheet set, power cord and operation manual

I have not had a minutes trouble with either of my machines. I have dealt with Amazon for years and they have the best "no questions asked" return/refund policy around in the event you get a rare defective product. Just my 2 cents worth of course but I am very happy with my purchase of this machine. Somewhere down the line I may consider a $2000+ dealer machine but honestly do not believe it is necessary to successfully create the vast majority of sewing/quilting projects.

BDK, I hope you find a great machine that fits both your needs and budget. The truth is there are no doubt several machines that would do that. I just have had a great experience with this particular Brother machine and thought you might want to check it out.
    Last edited by Sewbee; April 29th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

quilter.martha's Avatar quilter.martha is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Singer Confidence Quilter and I've had no problems with it. I just wish it had a larger throat space as I am getting more and more in FMQ.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12