Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Lisaau's Avatar Lisaau is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've got a question re: "jennys self binding baby quilts" tutorial

My sisinlaws sister had a baby in feburary and I was trying to think of something I could do to give the baby that was quilt related but wouldnt take as long as it takes to make a baby quilt. Then I came across the tutorial for the self bindng baby quilt and it occured to me that a couple of yrs ago I bought a "winnie the pooh polar fleece baby blanket" and it got me thinking if it would be possible to use the tutorial to make a self binding baby blanket /quilt using polar fleece as the middle and flannel as the backing.

What do you guys think can I do the same thing but with a pre-printed polar fleece blanket and flannel ??? .......Picture is below

PS: baby was a boy

I've got a question re: "jennys self binding baby quilts" tutorial-winne-pooh.jpg
    "DO NOT CRITICIZE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES."
    :

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I've got a question re: "jennys self binding baby quilts" tutorial

Lisa, I have had the granddaughters make baby quilts for their little sisters using polar fleece and cotton fabric - I am sure that flannel would work as well. I just have them sew a huge pocket (envelope like) with right sides together. Leave an opening, turn it right side out after clipping the corners, whip stitch the opening and then tie with pearle cotton. They love doing it and it is a quick project for them. Sometimes they do sew about 1/2 inch from the edges all the way around the quilt.

Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves. ~Eric Sevareid

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I say, "don't ask why, say why not!" It looked like a very simple way to make something very cute and functional, and if you wanted the binding to show, like it does in her tutorial, just adjust the size of the underneath piece. It looked like the underneath piece was 10" bigger on all sides than the upper piece. You could adjust that downward if you didn't want as big of a binding. She started with a 30" square and a 40" square. It looks like your panel is oblong, so I would just add 10" to each side, and cut your bottom piece that size. Personally, if I were making it out of fleece, I'd add less, perhaps about 8", your border wouldn't be as wide nor would the whole thing be as bulky. I do thing you need to sew around the edge of the upper piece to "quilt" it together, otherwise it would get all crazy shaped when you washed it.

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made 2 anda third on the way...using fleece backing. the girls love the softness and cuddliness. The first two (t-shirt quilts in my album) I used that regular thicker, fluffy kind of batting and it was a bit to thick with that and the thickness of the fleece, I did alot of SITD to calm it down. But the quilts still look nice and there isn't alot of "bulge" inbetween the quiting stitching. I started a third quilt using just fabric and the back is fabric but I used that thinner firmer kind of batting and it works great for stippling and although not as soft and cuddley as the other...it is still pretty nice and soft but I think that is more my fault for such small areas. I am now starting another one using the fleece backing and FLANNEL...a thinner shirt weight flannel as the batting. I am hoping it will it will compromise both and make it soft and cuddley, while still holding some firmness "for looks". I say all that to say this....you mentioned fleece for the for the back...it works and is nice, just be careful not to have a "thick" batting inside. I needed something on the fleece ones as using no batting...you can still feel the seams through the back as that fleece is very thick. The thinner batting was just to much so I am trying this flannel...main reason is to cushion the seams so they aren't so obvious.

bakermom is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used minky-like fabric with a small top I pieced using this method. The only issue i had was the stretchy-ness of the knit vs the cotton top. You could have the same problem with fleece and flannel. if you are careful with your sewing and pinning it should work out fine.

sunnyQLDmum's Avatar sunnyQLDmum is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

With this method you can pretty much use any fabric. I've even seen it done with minky on the front and satin on the back. I also use this method to make table runners, like the ten minute runner but you end up with a border all the way around
    Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Johny Marsh is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default winnie the pooh theme

Yes you can do this what you need is to look it at you tube and i think its the best thing to gift for your sisinlaw sister baby.

winnie the pooh theme

auntiemern's Avatar auntiemern is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know why you couldn't. As long as the back is the same # of Inches from each side. A friend got me fleece and flannel and that is what I am planning on doing for one of my hospital blankets. It will be beautiful no matter what you do.
    Our Quilt Fabric Store ------------- The Quilting Cupboard
    http://thequiltingcupboard.aradium.com/

The Quilting Cupboard https://www.facebook.com/groups/quiltingcupboard//

Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

LCQuilts is online now Member
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I see is that the fleece will not shrink and the flannel will shrink. Make sure you wash the flannel first.