Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KellyTexas is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paying for the quilting

Hi all, I'm new here! My wife is just getting into quilting and she is trying to find some advice.

She finished the applique and front patterns on her first quilt (queen size) and it looks really great. She bought the batting and the fabric for the back.

She decided to pay someone to quilt it together into the final product. She was quoted $170. Now it is finished and the final amount was adjusted to $200 because the binding had to be done by hand.

This seems very expensive to me, considering all of her materials were about $100. So I have a few questions:

Do many quilters (beginners) pay someone else to assemble the quilt?
    Is $170-$200 a normal price for this service?
    How hard is it to put together the front, back, and battling without a quilting machine? Can it be done with a regular sewing machine like she uses to assemble the front pattern?

Thank you for your advice.

Claire Hallman's Avatar Claire Hallman is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paying for the quilting

Sounds very reasonable to me. I paid more than twice that to have a king size one quilted but that did include the batting. If one has a walking/evenfeed foot on your domestic machine it is possible to quilt them yourself.

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KellyTexas View Post
    Do many quilters (beginners) pay someone else to assemble the quilt?
    Is $170-$200 a normal price for this service?
    How hard is it to put together the front, back, and battling without a quilting machine? Can it be done with a regular sewing machine like she uses to assemble the front pattern?

Thank you for your advice.
    Hi, and welcome to the world of quilting and thin wallets.

$200 for quilting a queen-size quilt AND having the binding hand sewn is actually a decent price at most shops. Some people here have gotten it done for less, but I've not run across anyone that's cheaper.

I recently sent my first quilt out to be machine quilted. I have been a hand quilter for years. Yes, needle and thread and taking thousands of tiny little stitches to get my quilts finished. Many people can free-motion quilt their own quilts, or do straight line stitching on the home machines as well. It takes practice and patience. Your wife might look into taking a couple classes from a local quilt shop to get some help in learning to machine quilt.

The main issue I have in sandwiching my quilts, especially if they are queen sized, is having a spot in my home big enough to spread everything out flat.
    K is for Karen

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle free and three sizes smaller?

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

meemeecyn's Avatar meemeecyn is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a reasonable price! I have done only small projects on my own machine and usually just stitch in the ditch. Have not tried free motion quilting yet. At least what I do the end product in no way compares to having it done by a professional. The lady I use to do the long arm quilting does a great job and it looks even better after it is quilted. I always do the binding myself. If your wife is a 'newbie' and if you can afford it, going to a long arm quilter is the way to go to have her projects last long term. There are many quilters on this forum who do their own quilting and they do a beautiful job, but I bet most of them have been doing it for many years. They would probably say to start off with a small project when doing it oneself. You are a good husband to be supporting your wife's quilting enjoyment. To the both of you, welcome to the Forum!
    Cynthia

Alana's Avatar Alana is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is a reasonable price especially if you are adding in the hand binding. It can be done cheaper but you would really have to hunt around. Machine quilting can be done at home but like Karen says it takes practice but can be a lot of fun. Hand quilting is, of course, extra special and very long. I would love to hand quilt a large quilt for myself but knowing it would take many many hours, I think I would end up setting it aside and not finishing it.
    Quilting is not a cheap hobby but it is a very satisfying one. Good quality materials and fabric make the best quilts. When you pay over $100 for the fabric and other materials a well as the time put into it, it is well worth the investment to have it machine quilted on a long arm quilting machine.
    Alana
    To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
    alanashideaway.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Luvngrammy is offline Senior Member
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Many quilt shops may also have lessons on their mid arm or long arm machines for a fee, then you can rent thier machines for an hourly rate to quilt your own. She could also have saved $$ by putting on her own binding after it was quilted...

HandsOffItsMine's Avatar HandsOffItsMine is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOL..I would gladly pay someone to hand bind my queen size quilt for an extra $30 - let's break that down:

Last Queen Size Quilt - 84" x 102"

84 x 2 = 164 inches
    102 x 2 = 204 inches

$30 divided by 364 inches = $.08241 per inch for her expertise, time, thread, and sanity - Hmmm I think you got a great deal!

Quilting Expertise

84 x102 =8,568 square inches

$170 divided by 8,568 sq. in. = $0.01984 per sq. in. for her expertise, time, thread, equipment and a pattern that your wife more than 99.9% would not be able to produce as a newbie or even an experienced quilter as they are programmed into the LAQ machine.

Yep, I think you got an excellent deal and a happy wife. Plus a quilt that will be a family heirloom.

Most of all, as my DH says to his friends (mind you, he has a Classic Car, no cheap hobby)..."A happy wife, is a happy home!"

Congrats on being a great guy!
    Visit my new fabric shopping carts FatQuartersALaCarte.com and YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for your custom First Time Order Coupon by mentioning "The Forum". Huggers, Ruby

Denis's Avatar Denis is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Prices for quilting services vary from area to area. In more affluent areas, prices will be much higher than others. The number of longarmers in one area will also affect the base price for services. I'm in Canada and I charge about $3 sq foot for overal/edge to edge quilting such as pantographs. Custom quilting where each block and borders are treated separately, and stitch in the ditch or stitching around appliques are going to cost alot more ($3.50 to $5 sq ft). Using Ruby's numbers, a queen size 84 x102 would cost $178.50 for a simple pantograph. Custom would be a minimum of $208.25. Applying binding would a seperate fee.

The amount of fabric and batting you use to make the quilt will have no impact on the quilting charge.

sunnyQLDmum's Avatar sunnyQLDmum is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Australia and am lucky enough to live directly across the road from my local quilt shop and know the owners very well. Their normal charge is $3.50 per square foot, but told me that my mate's rates charge would be $2.50 sq foot. While it does seem expensive and I have not as yet had a quilt done, I have seen the results on some of the quilts that they have quilted and have fallen in love. A quilt is not a quilt until it is quilted, and if you want it to look perfect as a newbie it's the only way to go. As the others said, with time, practice, patience and perserverance your wife will be able to do this herself. Encourage her to take classes, watch tutorials and videos on you tube, research systems that make quilting on a home machine easier and talk to other people who quilt on their home machine. She's probably scared of ruining all the work she put in to making the quilt top, but once she gets past her fear and starts you will never get her out of the sewing room!
    Last edited by sunnyQLDmum; December 11th, 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Monique's Avatar Monique is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can not afford to pay someone to quilt a quilt for me. I hand quilt everything myself. I would like to try FMQ maybe in the new year but I am very intimidated by it.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast