Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: No-Math Binding?

Auntpiggylpn's Avatar Auntpiggylpn is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No-Math Binding?

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    I use that method often and it works fine. (The double hourglass quilt was done that way this morning as a matter of fact.) It will make that section of binding just a bit thicker because of the extra layers of fabric but it is so much faster and easier.

If I were making a quilt for myself or another quilter I was trying to impress, I'd probably stitch the ends of the binding together the old fashioned way then hand stitch the binding onto the quilt. For non-quilters, they won't know/care if you use this method and machine stitch the binding. You'll save time and headache.

Edit: I noticed in the video she is using straight grain binding. I much prefer bias cut binding. It seems more difficult but there are dozens of ways to cut it which aren't that hard. Due to the stretch of it you can make the finished binding look a lot better with bias cut and if you get into things like scalloped edges or rounded corners you'll need bias binding anyway so it is a good thing to learn if you don't already know how.
    I am a DIE HARD BIAS BINDING FANATIC!!! It isn't difficult to cut at all and I think it just hugs up against the edge of the quilt and lays sooo much flatter. I really dislike when I don't have enough fabric to cut it on the bias and have to use straight of grain instead. Usually, I will switch my fabric choice for binding.

Don't judge each other - You don't know what storm I have asked them to walk through. - GOD

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

New York Sue's Avatar New York Sue is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How to Bind a Quilt - 6 Simple Steps - YouTube

I bought the binding tool, and fussed and fussed around with this, ad nauseam....
    The above link shows my method, and I'm sticking to it!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Iris Girl's Avatar Iris Girl is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I join mine at the end after stressing with the binding tool and making everything crooked this works so easy.
    QM How-To: Join the Ends of Binding | Quilty Pleasures Blog
    pokeygirl likes this.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

easyquilts's Avatar easyquilts is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    This is how I join mine at the end after stressing with the binding tool and making everything crooked this works so easy.
    The binging holo was not fun.... So, now I use the method Jenny taught in her Ultimate Binding Tutorial... But, I can see how easy this method would be... I'll have to try it...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

HandsomeRyan's Avatar HandsomeRyan is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soul60s View Post
    At the end she mentions about sewing your binding before trimming your quilt. Aren't you supposed to square it first?
    I always square up first.

Monique's Avatar Monique is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is the method a friend taught me and that is the one I use. I was having problems with the binding tool and kind of gave up on that one.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

maviskwood@gmail.com is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    I usually cut my bias binding from 1/2 a yard of fabric. You are absolutely correct that if you have limited (or a small piece of) fabric that straight grain may be better/easier way to go.

Also to amend my previous post: I only referred to the stretch of bias binding as it relates to curves (which is a major benefit) but it also allows a little more stretch to cover the extra bulk of the fabric in the "pocket" when using the binding technique in the video. I realized I never really explained that and you were probably thinking, "But this quilt doesn't use curves or scalloped edges?!". I think straight grain binding will work fine for your current project pocket and all though.

Best of luck. Take lots of pictures!
    I'm way beyond using the "pocket" to finish binding tails. I sew the ends together using the triangle method.

Shirley's Avatar Shirley is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like the binding tool and I use the triangle method. Works great. I don't know how to cut the bias binding and I want to learn but I need someone to show me because the tute I watched wasn't very helpful.
    Shirley

Cat77's Avatar Cat77 is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soul60s View Post

At the end she mentions about sewing your binding before trimming your quilt. Aren't you supposed to square it first?
    Last time, I didn't square up before sewing on the binding. What I did is "square up" with a fabric pen along the edge of the quilt, then laid the open edge of the binding on that colour line and sewed it on with a 1/4" seam. Afterwards, I cut off all the extra fabric/batting around the quilt, measuring 1/2" from the sewing line of the binding. That gave me a nice, filled out binding. Best I've made so far, I think.
    Slokarma likes this.

grma33's Avatar grma33 is offline Member
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

THis is the one I just used. Worked great. There is 4 parts.
    Gale
    How to Bind a Quilt Step 3 of 4: Joining the Binding Ends

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast