Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Disappearing Pinwheel

Carmen Garcia is offline Junior Member
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappearing Pinwheel

any body else having a hard time making this block?

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    K is for Karen

Remember, Happiness is a way of Travel, not a Destination.

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Disappearing Pinwheel

Oh yes! I've made 20 so far, not really thrilled with any of them so far!

Sew Perfect's Avatar Sew Perfect is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carmen and welcome from NE Kansas. Yes people have had some problems. Here is the link where there has been an ongoing conversation about it. I am so NOT going to make last tutorial.......

Edited to say: Karen...YOUR ARE ONE FAST COOKIE!!!!
    Last edited by Sew Perfect; January 12th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Oh yes! I've made 20 so far, not really thrilled with any of them so far!
    Jean, I thought yours were coming out pretty good. I am wondering if we should try it "old school", but then again, wonder if that would defeat the purpose. I'm really contemplating it. What do you think? What are you not happy with, Jean?
    MISA

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sew Perfect View Post
    Jean, I thought yours were coming out pretty good. I am wondering if we should try it "old school", but then again, wonder if that would defeat the purpose. I'm really contemplating it. What do you think? What are you not happy with, Jean?
    Well, I'm not sure yet if the blocks are going to go together nicely, plus they got skewed somewhere along the line so they seem stretched and lumpy. Perhaps I need to square up more often, I did it after I made the first pinwheel. Not sure, I have my blocks made, and now I need to sew the rows together. Plus, I'm sort of mad at Moda, the fabrics I wanted to use from the layer cake pack was short one full size piece, because a short piece of fabric was in the count, and I needed it. When I show the final quilt, you'll see one odd ball block in with the others.

Bubby's Avatar Bubby is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Disappearing Pinwheel-disappearingpinwheel.jpgI made one and didn't really have too much trouble with it. Not sure if I would will make a quilt, but I like this size block for potholders/table mats. I think with practice everyone would be able to make nice blocks. What I don't like about my block is one section of the pinwheel doesn't match in the center.
    Lord, help me to become the person my dogs think I am....

www.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean, I will look for your quilt in show and tell. I wonder what Jenny did to make her quilt so successful. I'm pretty nervous to try making my quilt with the same technique.

PS. I guess even Moda messes up knce in a while, but dog gkne it, not when we need a certain fabric and size.
    Last edited by Sew Perfect; January 12th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
    MISA

Lg56 is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished my disappearing pinwheel quilt. It is ready and waiting for the quilting lady to get her quilting machine repaired.

The pinwheel blocks turned out very nice, and I am pleased. I did not have any problems putting these together.

But........... There was a big problem with the pinwheel border. The borders did not match up with the quilt. I called Missouri store before I started putting the small pinwheels together as I just had a feeling. I was concerned about the size of blocks that are to be sewn in between the pinwheels.

I was told to use a jelly roll which they stated are 2 1/2" wide. This is what I used and had to take my border all apart and on some make some of the pieces wider for the sides to be the correct length. On the ends I had to take them apart and cut down some of the pieces to make the border fit.

The quilt did come out quite nice. But, what a horrible experience I had with the pinwheel borders.
    GinnyKNC likes this.

GinnyKNC is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lg56 View Post
    I just finished my disappearing pinwheel quilt. It is ready and waiting for the quilting lady to get her quilting machine repaired.

The pinwheel blocks turned out very nice, and I am pleased. I did not have any problems putting these together.

But........... There was a big problem with the pinwheel border. The borders did not match up with the quilt. I called Missouri store before I started putting the small pinwheels together as I just had a feeling. I was concerned about the size of blocks that are to be sewn in between the pinwheels.

I was told to use a jelly roll which they stated are 2 1/2" wide. This is what I used and had to take my border all apart and on some make some of the pieces wider for the sides to be the correct length. On the ends I had to take them apart and cut down some of the pieces to make the border fit.

The quilt did come out quite nice. But, what a horrible experience I had with the pinwheel borders.
    Show us
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast