Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: can i make my own jelly roll

Wiseoldsoul is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default can i make my own jelly roll

i have been watching some youtube and want to know if anyone can tell me how to cut my own jelly roll fabric? do I just cut 2 and one half inch fabric ? how long to i cut them?

SummerK's Avatar SummerK is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can i make my own jelly roll

You sure can. Jelly roll strips are 2.5" wide and just cut the full width of the fabric. Depending on the bolt, it should be 40-44".

Mia
    Mia is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wise.... yes you sure can just as summer said. I am a jelly roll lover so I buy the prints and cut my own solids. The best part of a jelly roll is there are usually at least 20 different fabrics in one roll....... and usually more.

llm161's Avatar llm161 is offline Senior Member
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Cut across the width of the fabric. It's just that the jelly rolls are so great because they have approx 20 different fabrics that all match fairly well together. Depends on your fabric stash I suppose.
    Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

www.lindamaurer.blogspot.com

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
    "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

tamsterg7 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As said before you can definitely cut your own - but if you are lazy like me - once you use that pre-cut it takes a might cute piece of fabric to turn back and cut your own!

mamaforhim is offline Junior Member
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: can i make my own jelly roll

How much fabric is needed for each different print/solid?

If there are about 20 different fabrics in each roll, how much yardage should I buy for each roll?

Also--I just bought a jelly roll on sale, but it was only 20 strips! How gig of a quuilt would that make? a Baby quilt? Lap quilt?

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can get 7 strips out of a half yard of fabric with 1/2" waste. You can then purchase 6 different fabrics and get 42 strips out of the 6 half yard pieces. If you want more variety, remember to purchase yardage to accomodate 2-1/2" wide strips with minimum waste. 1/4 yard(9") would only give you 3 strips with 1-1/2" waste. 1/3 yard (12") would give you 4 strips with 2" waste. 3/8 of a yard is 13-1/2" so you would get 5 strips with 1"waste. So 1/2 yard is the most efficient way to use your fabric with minimum waste. I also used fat quarters to make a smaller quilt, it just has a more scrappy look. Just remember to get twice as many fat quarters because your strips will be half as wide as a strip cut from the whole width of fabric. Hope this helps you figure it out.

I made up a formula for figuring out how many strips you would need to make a specific size quilt. They are designed to end up with 32 2" rows, roughly 64" long. If you use fewer strips, they will end up narrower and 64" long. You can make them wider by adding strips. Here's my formula: take the width you want it to end up, let's use 72" to make a wider quilt. Multiply that number by 32 (number of rows). That number will be 2304. That is the length of strip you need to start out with. Since you fabric strips will probably about 41" long by the time you miter seam them, divide 41 into 2304. That comes out to 56 which is how many strips you would need to make that width. With only 20 strips, you would get a 32 row quilt that is 25 by 64. You really can't make it the way jelly roll quilts are usually made with only 20 strips and come out with something useable. With the usual 40 strips, they end up being a generous lap quilt size, about 48-50" by 64. You can add borders if you want it bigger. Look at my albums, I 've made a bunch of different size Jelly roll quilts.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 12th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
    marsharini likes this.

KerriS's Avatar KerriS is offline Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

I really love jelly rolls
    My DH gave me this http://www.naehpark.com/Hot-New/Simp...-Embosser.html last Christmas because I wanted to cut my own strips.
    Now I'm using this mostly for solids, smaller pieces of yardage and for cutting the binding-strips.

I haven't stopped to buy jelly rolls because of the variety and the perfect matching of the fabrics and colors..
    Why go, buy lots of yardage and then sit and cut it, when I can have it in a jelly roll.

So I think: opening a jelly roll is fast and easy, cutting your own is maybe a little cheaper but you have to mix the colors on your own.. thats a lot of work, and mostly I'm too lazy for this.
    Best wishes and Greetings
    Kerstin

I put my rootbeer in a square cup.... now it's just beer

rebeccas-sewing's Avatar rebeccas-sewing is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Kerri - The reason I cut my own fabric- I'm always trying to get the most for my money. Cutting strips from yardage is a better buy and can be even more economical if you're purchasing yardage at reduced prices. Let's see, Jean says 6 half-yard cuts equals a jellyroll. That's $30 (42 strips.) MSQC sells jellys for $36 (40 strips.) $6 isn't a huge savings but it adds up if you're buying lots of precuts.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely like buying precuts but only on sale. I buy them for the variety, the quality and the line of designer fabrics. I'm not likely to go into a shop and ask the salesperson to cut 20 quarter yard cuts from 20 different bolts of fabric to get the variety one gets in a jellyroll. Also, they won't have yardage in all the different designs found in the jellyroll. Hmmm! I bet that's intentional. LOL
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 12th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
    Rebecca in Baarn, Netherlands by way of Orange County, CA.

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a trade off, convenience and variety against cost. The basic cost of most jelly roll strips and layer cake pieces starts out at about $1, discounts bring it down to less. You are paying for the convenience of not having to cut them, and getting the variety.

BTW, I got a Moda layer cake with a short cut piece in it--whaaaa! I want 42 full cut pieces!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast