Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: can i make my own jelly roll

atoz1mom is offline Junior Member
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can i make my own jelly roll

I have used Jelly rolls in a lot of different quilts. I love the versatility. But I don't always want a scrappy look. I recently made the serendipity quilt but I didn't want the centers to all be different so I bought three fabrics and made my own 2 1/2 in strips. Of course this is true for any precut it really just depends on how much time you want to spend and the look you want to achieve. Good luck!

Denis's Avatar Denis is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

if you use the June Taylor Shape Cut or Shape Cut Plus, this will help in the speed of cutting up all these strips. I belong to a men's quilt group on Yahoo and one of our members likes to host all our fabric swaps. Some swaps include jelly rolls and he collects everyones fabric by the required yardage and cuts all the strips himself using the Shape Cut. One swap he cut over 100 yrds for us. What a trooper!!!
    marsharini likes this.

3. Thanks lyric thanked for this post
    KerriS's Avatar KerriS is online now Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Kerri - The reason I cut my own fabric- I'm always trying to get the most for my money.
    Oh, yes, I want that too but sometimes I really love ready cut stripes.
    It is of course a question of the cost too. When I would buy a jelly roll over here, i'd pay at least 60$.. just for one.

So I've ordered some jelly rolls from the MSQC, they were on sale too, and nonetheless I have to pay for the shipping and the german sales tax (19%) its much cheaper for me this way.
    Really good yardage is very expensive here too.
    Of course I often buy cheap yardage but I think one can feel and see the difference.

So for me a "real" jelly roll is something luxurious, just like a glass of champagne, you don't drink it every day but from time to time it is wonderful.

Self cutting strips is totally ok, I do that often too..

sorry if my posting is a little confuse.. sometimes it is hard to say what you want using another language..
    lourixe likes this.
    Best wishes and Greetings
    Kerstin

I put my rootbeer in a square cup.... now it's just beer

5. Thanks lyric thanked for this post
    Alana's Avatar Alana is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    if you use the June Taylor Shape Cut or Shape Cut Plus, this will help in the speed of cutting up all these strips. I belong to a men's quilt group on Yahoo and one of our members likes to host all our fabric swaps. Some swaps include jelly rolls and he collects everyones fabric by the required yardage and cuts all the strips himself using the Shape Cut. One swap he cut over 100 yrds for us. What a trooper!!!

Wow! I use the Shape Cut Rulers myself and find them to be a heaven send. I couldn't cut 100 yards that's for sure. I'd hate to see how wonky it would be if I did....LOL!
    Alana
    To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
    alanashideaway.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    By my calculations, that's 1400 strips. That woud make one very big jelly roll quilt!

lilmouse's Avatar lilmouse is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took my Accu Go to my daughters house one time and used the 2 1/2 in strip cutter and cut fabric all afternoon...don't know how many I cut but was afraid I would cut right thru the top board...haven't yet and I have cut many strips on that machine...absolutely love it and it's ideal for cutting jelly rolls....of course my jelly rolls look very scrappy!

Genny's Avatar Genny is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make my jelly rolls with my Accuquilt Go and my 2 1/2 inch strip die. Fast, easy and accurate!
    ...Today is a good day to have a good day...

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    You can get 7 strips out of a half yard of fabric with 1/2" waste. You can then purchase 6 different fabrics and get 42 strips out of the 6 half yard pieces. If you want more variety, remember to purchase yardage to accomodate 2-1/2" wide strips with minimum waste. 1/4 yard(9") would only give yot it bigger. Look at my albums, I 've made a bunch of different size Jelly roll quilts.
    Jean...have you done the math as to which is cheaper..buying pre-cut or cutting your own?

mamaforhim is offline Junior Member
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much.
    I am actually wanting to make jelly rolls for my kids to practice the "quilt as you go" method for placemats and stuff for Christmas gifts and then go larger for Linus quilts!

They are all 8yrs. and younger, so I don't trust them with my rotary cutter and have found jelly rolls to be so expensive at the stores... I thought I could make some smaller ones from fabrics they choose!

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    Jean...have you done the math as to which is cheaper..buying pre-cut or cutting your own?
    Regular prices jelly roll are $39 for 40 strips, it comes to aboutb3 yards of febric. That would be about $13 per yard. Is your fabric cheaper than that? It would have to be really primo fabric for me to spend that much per yard. You pay for the convenience in any precut. Tht's why the good Daily Deals are such a gret buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast