Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 505 spray

Iris Girl's Avatar Iris Girl is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 505 spray

I only use my 505 spray wen doing appliques. to sticky for me to handle without making a mess on anything bigger then my hand.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Sheena's Avatar Sheena is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use 505 and it was £9.99 from the NEC Festival of Quilts. It is expensive but I love it. I tape the backing fabric to the laminate flooring, then lay the batting on top and the quilt top on top of that.

Then I spray glue the top to the batting starting in the middle, smoothing it out as I go. Then turn round and do the other half.

Then I lift the top and batting and repeat the process this time gluing the batting to the backing.

Finally I put some quilting pins round the edges just to hold them together.

I've found this works really well.

JCY
    JCY is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a can of spray & have never used it. My concern was using it in the bsmt. where we have a gas HWH. I pin baste everything. Works for me. JCY

cyndiofthevortex's Avatar cyndiofthevortex is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 505 that I bought on Amazon or eBay, can't remember which. I also use a product simply called The Original Quilt Basting Spray. They can be expensive but you can baste a lot of quilts with them from my experience. You don't need to use a lot to keep the quilt layers together. I have had absolutely no problems with it and will never use pins again on quilts large or small.
    Lisapc likes this.
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

New York Sue's Avatar New York Sue is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I spray baste I usually do it upstairs, on my 5' kitchen peninsula. For a bigger quilt, I've used my living room floor.
    I've never had 'the honor' of trying 505. It's not readily available to me. I've used June Tailor, and Dritz, and I'm okay with that. It's NOT that obnoxious, really.
    I have done smaller stuff in my sewing room, maybe 15-20 feet, and a WALL in between my hot-water propane tank. I haven't blown up yet .....LOL
    I know MANY here, will attest to 505 though. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to give it try!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

easyquilts's Avatar easyquilts is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I once used ELmer's Spray to baste a quilt, and it worked just fine. Do I need to worry about build up on the needle?

Sandy

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JOann's has a brand called "Tailors". it is $12 a can. I always wait and use my 50% off coupon and buy then. I couldn't afford $12 with as much as I use it! And even with it, I still usually spray in the middle to hold best and then lightly on the outside edges (about 12" from the edge) and still use large safety pins.

Lisapc's Avatar Lisapc is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwina View Post
    Dear fellow quilters I was wondering if there was anything else to baste my quilt with apart from the 505 spray .the 505 spray is really expensive in the UK do you know of others?
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before but, I have used heat bond tape or any brand fusible tape in little 1/2 or 1 inch pieces to baste my quilts. I space the little pieces about 4-6 inches apart. I did this on my GD's DP9 which is a large lap size. It worked great for me. It took time to do it because you have to do the top and back separately but it truly works and is inexpensive compared to the spray. I tried it first on a wall hanging and use it every time I do a panel.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

All comments made as a Moderator will be in blue. Please don't make me use blue!

Davidsgirl08's Avatar Davidsgirl08 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used 505 today and a pink can that said it was the original basting spray. The 505 was great the pink one what a sticky mess. When people move back to the states you can't ship aerosols so they give away all their basting sprays so I have different brands some half full some a quarter full. Too bad I have two more cans of that one lol the 505 and June tailor aren't bad.

denisecolli's Avatar denisecolli is offline Senior Member
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I use 505 even though it is pricey I think its good value for money I usually spray on my real wood dining table laying all 3 layers then rolling up and spraying half then doing the other half due to lack of space I find it easy to use and quick. You don't use a lot on each quilt try ordering of the net. I paid £11.99 for 500ml at a craft show

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast