Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I need advice on a baby qult...

Mchelem is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need advice on a baby qult...

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Single thickness 80/20 batting should be adequate. I usually wash my quilts before gifting. That way I know no colors ran, etc. I also like the puffed up crinkled look. It shows off the FMQ & also makes for a nice clean quilt, ready to use, for the baby. I'm expecting my 1st grt. grandchild next mo. I bought the Kimba panel, added a 2" border, & had fun with the FMQ around the animals, etc. I bought 2 other panels today on sale 50% off at my LQS. They make nice gifts w/o all the piecing work. JCY
    Maybe I'm just weird, but I actually don't like the panels. To me it seems like cheating lol. I enjoy the piecing I guess.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

AlohaSandy's Avatar AlohaSandy is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a lot of baby quilts and always just use single batting I never double the batting and it is plenty warm.
    turena65 likes this.
    Hawaiigrammi

Quilted Fantasies's Avatar Quilted Fantasies is offline Senior Member
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

It will also make a difference how dense your FMQ is. The less-dense the quilting, the more fluffy your quilt will be after washing. Yesterday I put the finishing touches on a wall hanging (picture posted!). Most of the quilting was 1/4" apart. Lovely for a wall-hanging, but it would have been a really bad idea for a quilt of any size.
    turena65 likes this.
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

DCM
    DCM is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I always wash my baby quilts (actually any quilts) before giving them to the recipient. On baby quilts (because my family and a lot of my friends have allergies) I include a card letting the parents know it was made from 100% cotton and cotton or cotton/bamboo hypoallergenic batting and that it has been washed in scent/dye free tide and downy. That way if they have any issues with the detergent/softener they can rewash. I also suggest washing in cold or warm water in the future and line or very low heat dryer drying. I'd hate for a new quilt to be ruined from being washed in hot water with other baby items. I always use a Shout dye catcher sheet the first time I wash, too.
    turena65 likes this.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

turena65's Avatar turena65 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much! I'm thinking that I will go ahead and wash this one prior to gifting, as I was planning on giving it to her ar her baby shower in just a few weeks. If you all think that single layer batting is appropriate, I will go with that and keep my fingers crossed that it will "fluff" up a bit and feel cozier after washing. Now to decide what pattern to quilt it.........

6. Thanks countrydancermom thanked for this post
    pamipatch is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Baby quilts I wash for all the above reasons, don't like chemicals near babies!!

Also the last thing a stressed new mum needs to deal with is washing a gawjus quilt and it comes out wrinkly. They'll think they've ruined it if it isn't all flat anymore lol
    turena65 likes this.

turena65's Avatar turena65 is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pamipatch View Post
    Baby quilts I wash for all the above reasons, don't like chemicals near babies!!

Also the last thing a stressed new mum needs to deal with is washing a gawjus quilt and it comes out wrinkly. They'll think they've ruined it if it isn't all flat anymore lol
    Lol... Oh gosh... I never thought of that!

gollygwhiz is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same. I'd rather buy a baby gift than have my quilt fall apart after they wash it, so I wash prior to gifting.
    turena65 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12