Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Musical_Starling's Avatar Musical_Starling is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Am I about to make a huge mistake??

Some of you know I've been working on a Jacob's Ladder quilt for GMIL and I'm nearing the finish line! I've purchased the CUTEST pink flannel to put on the back (no batting, she doesn't like "fluffy" quilts) so it will just be quilt top + flannel back (and yes, I've pre-washed and dried the flannel ).

I'm thinking of pillowcasing it and just doing a stitch around the outside edge and then some straight line quilting to keep it from becoming a balloon every time she washes it. Is pillowcasing it a bad idea? It's 60" square, so a nice size lap quilt, and I would use basting spray and safety pins to try and keep it in place as I go (spray before I turn it, let dry, then heat with the iron to re-activate the stick once it's turned). Am I crazy for even thinking this is a good idea? I've also thought about quilting it and bring the backing fabric to the front as binding, but I'm not sure I like that idea either.

Suggestions? Advice?
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Klasien's Avatar Klasien is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I about to make a huge mistake??

I would go with your second plan or with a normal binding methode....

Hope you will share pictures when it's done, I love to see them!
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pillowcasing isn't something I care much for. That said, if I did it, I would in no way involve spray basting because I think it would end up being way more trouble than it is worth.

Several members on here have said that not adding batting to a back and top that you can feel the seams from the piecing through the back. Have you considered adding a middle layer of just flannel?
    K is for Karen

Remember, Happiness is a way of Travel, not a Destination.

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    kelliedi's Avatar kelliedi is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess i'm not thinking right but once you put your basting spray on and then turn it, won't the spray be on the top after you turn it. ? i personally would use the "birthing" method with no spray. Then quilt it on the top to keep together. but that is me. If not that, I then would do it the normal way and just pin it before quilting and then a binding. but this is just my humble opinion.
    Kellie

bakermom is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

i finish small quilts like that sometimes. I wouldn't use basting spray, I think it would cause problems for you.
    I prefer to bind though, I think it makes a nice finish

Sharyn J's Avatar Sharyn J is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Karen. I don't care for pillowcasing. There are battings available that are very thin poly. I've used it and it hides the seams, doesn't add much weight, but still gives a nice finish even if you're doing SITD and straight lines to quilt. At least the finished product looks like a quilt. Without adding something for the inner sandwich, I think you'll end up with something that looks like a double-sided table cloth. I'd also do a standard type binding. Just my opinion.

Madeforyouinma11's Avatar Madeforyouinma11 is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if it was me, I would put on a separate binding, but bringing the back to the front as binding is ok too. Also, I would not just leave it as top and back because you will feel the seams and after all the work you have put into this quilt, it would just seem "unfinished". Now, you said she doesn't like "fluffy" quilts. Why not use a 100% cotton batting (like warm and white/natural),which is very thin and does not make a quilt fluffy. If this is not an option, I would at least use a layer of flannel as batting and then quilt as you would any other quilt.

Bubby's Avatar Bubby is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recommend pillowcasing a quilt - especially one you have put so much work into. If that type of edging wears through or frays, you might have to trim off part of the quilt blocks to fix it. You already have so much work into your project, please use a traditional binding. It will look better and wear better. I also don't recommend bringing the back to the front of the quilt for binding on a nice quilt like a Jacob's Ladder. That type of treatment is suitable for utility quilts that have been made quickly and will receive lots of use. A traditional binding is not difficult at all to do...watch jenny's tutorial if you need to see it demonstrated. You could even stitch the binding to the back and wrap it to the front and machine stitch it in place....this would save you time.

There is an ultra-thin batting called Thermore that is intended for flat quilts or apparel. You hardly know it's in there, yet you get the benefit of a batting. It's also quite inexpensive and it's available at ConnectingThreads.com - Exclusive Quilting Fabric, Quilting Thread, Quilting Kits, Patterns & Quilt Supplies. You can quilt up to 8 inches apart and it will maintain it's integrity. A Queen batt is only $22.
    Last edited by Bubby; July 14th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Lord, help me to become the person my dogs think I am....

www.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

kensington's Avatar kensington is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I pillow case lap quilts and baby quilts all the time. I always make my first quilt line straight down the sides at about 1 1/2 inch from the outside seam. It's what I did on these two laps for my dh aunts...

Am I about to make a huge mistake??-550663_493939337305908_602460677_n.jpg

11. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Hulamoon's Avatar Hulamoon is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't think anything is wrong with it. My MIL did them without batting too and you can't even notice the seams. I just bought some Quilters Dream. My one shop carries just that. It's thinner than warm and natural which my other shop carries.

Lorie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast