Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lhayes1976's Avatar lhayes1976 is offline Senior Member
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?

I am determined to master machine sewn binding--quick question. Do you sew it on the front or back of quilt? I'm sewing it to the front just like hand sewn, but I think I may be doing it wrong. My machine sewn binding for lack of a better word is just CRAP. It's crooked and I always end up with some I missed sewing.

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?

Quote Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
    I am determined to master machine sewn binding--quick question. Do you sew it on the front or back of quilt? I'm sewing it to the front just like hand sewn, but I think I may be doing it wrong. My machine sewn binding for lack of a better word is just CRAP. It's crooked and I always end up with some I missed sewing.
    I was taught to sew it on the back and then flip it over and sew from the front. That may not be how seasoned quilters do it though.

Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world."

~Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), Presidential message (December 25, 1927)

lhayes1976's Avatar lhayes1976 is offline Senior Member
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Sew on front for hand sewn--Sew on back for machine sewn? Makes sense to me--I don't know why I did think of that--next time I'll try that. I like to hand sew my gift quilts, but things like table runners, wall hangings, etc I just want to machine sew, but I'd still like it to look nice.

bakermom is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew mine on the front then flip to the back if I'm sewing down by hand. if i want to machine stitch it on both sides, ,I sew it to the back then bring it a round to the front and pin, pin, pin to keep it lined up .I then use a decorative stitch. I find i like that better than using a straight stitch.

sewmuchjan's Avatar sewmuchjan is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew from back to front and I use store bought quilt binding and blanket binding. Because that is how I was taught also by my Mother and Grandmother Attie. I like to looks of it better and I didn't like it when I made my own.

Hope this helps!!
    Jan G

janluna's Avatar janluna is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?

I like how Jenny does it, sewn on machine on the front and hand stitched to the back.

jennaleigh820's Avatar jennaleigh820 is offline Senior Member
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

i saw a lady on youtube machine bind a quilt and she machine the back on first than machine the front with a zig zang stich......i thought it was a good idea.......and i was thinking of taking scrap and trying it to see how it would look.....or stich in the ditch for binding

Sewbee's Avatar Sewbee is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have to machine bind since I have a problem hand sewing. My first binding project was a large potholder. I used the method of attaching the binding from the back, wrapping to the front and then attaching with a blanket stitch. It looked ok from the front, not so good from the back, but still a workable method and I believe what is usually done for machine binding.

I just tackled my second binding project yesterday but used a different method which allowed me to sew the binding completely from the front. I really did not want to use a blanket stitch on the front and wanted the binding to blend in with the quilt top. I recently saw a brief YouTube video where a lady was experimenting with machine binding and I decided to try her method.

I learned a lot doing it this first time, made some mistakes but all in all I am very happy with the results. I think with some more practice I will get better at placing the binding so that I successfully catch the edge on the back of the quilt more consistently. I had to do a few extra "stitch overs" this first time around. I think I will try to post more pics in my album showing the process I used just in case anyone else is interested in trying it out.

Here is my finished project....a 68" x 25" bedrunner for a little girl:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?-finished-bedrunner-binding.jpg   Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?-right-wrong-sides-corners.jpg   Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?-binding-corner-wrong-side.jpg   Binding Machine Sewn--Front or Back?-binding-corner-right-side.jpg  
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

debinmalaga's Avatar debinmalaga is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the whole project, and the binding looks great!
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Mia
    Mia is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic job, sew.... it's gorgeous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast