Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do if you don't have floor or table space to lay sandwich out on....

When making the sandwich to start FMQ'ing it... I know everyone says to tape it to the table or floor, but...I have bad knees, there is NO WAY I could crawl around on the floor to assemble the sandwich. My kitchen table is to small for the full quilt, but NO WAY would my husband EVERY allow me to tape anything to the wood table! So...anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the backing flat and smooth while assembling the batting and front? I have tried the roll style...I use Spray adhesive and I pin also. I line it all up with the batting and back slightly larger than the front, then roll them up, lay back down (everything is ironed prior also) and lay the batting back down and roll it up from each side, so I start adhereing in the middle and roll out on each side and roll out as I spray. And repeat for the top. I go in sections best I can. I still have that problem with the back puckering. I just read about putting the batting in the dryer for a few minutes, and I will start that, but still...any other ideas on how to sandwich it all out if you don't have the floor or large table space?

GrammaBabs's Avatar GrammaBabs is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do if you don't have floor or table space to lay sandwich out on....

wow,, that's a challenge... i've heard that some people go to a nearby church hall or club,,, and they are allowed to use the tables there... we have a club house here so i'm lucky,,, i will say though , that it's the reason i bought the Grace frame and Janome high speed,,, it sits in the "middle of my small room"... and a pain to walk around... but what a difference... i can finish my own quilts... every one of them myself,, WHEN i want ...food for thought..
    "Each day well-live and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do if you don't have floor or table space to lay sandwich out on....

Ah, the bane of my quilting existence - sandwiching. I have ceramic tiles on my kitchen floor, my knees can not take that, plus the dogs always try to join in. I have no other floor space large enough to lay out a quilt. I tape mine to the wall, either the kitchen or back hallway. It's the large, queen size quilts that I have real issues with.

I know my grandmother used to sandwich hers on the dining room table after putting in the two leaves. That makes the table 8 feet long. I have that table now, but really don't want to use it because it's an antique and I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

Instead of taping your fabric to the wood table can you get some clamps to hold it down> You can get some just for quilting or maybe even use some C- clamps that your hubby might have. You can protect your fabric and the table by using a potholder or a folded washcloth inside the clamp where you tighten it down.

One thing I've started doing recently, on a couple quilts so far, is pressing the entire quilt sandwich after it's together. I spray baste, smoothing it as best I can, then go to the ironing board. This seems to have helped with the little tucks and puckers that I was getting before. Just seems to make everything a bit smoother. I think I'll try the batting in the dryer as well next time. Mine isn't terribly wrinkled or creased because I buy it by the roll so it's not all folded.
    K is for Karen

Remember, Happiness is a way of Travel, not a Destination.

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    tortugaquilter's Avatar tortugaquilter is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to tape if I don't have to because my tape always seems to crawl, so I use large binder clips or clamps from the hardware store. When my quilt top is too big for my table, I center it and clamp what is on the table down, make sure all layers are smooth and tight, and then I pin the center section that is on the table. I then unclamp and move another section up on the table and go through the procedure again. Sometimes it takes several unclampings, and you must make sure that you do it evenly on each side of the center section, so that if you go to the right of the center section first, the next pinning is to the left of the center section. I make sure there are folding chairs to catch the weight of the quilt hanging off the table. So far I have not had any puckering or wrinkles with this method. It is just a little tedious. The clamps don't hurt my wood table because the layers protect the wood.

My friend bought several 6 foot folding tables she puts together to sandwich her quilts, then she can fold them up and stand them up in a corner of the garage until she needs them again.

I also tend to sandwich several quilts at once so that I don't have to do it so often. It is my least favorite part of quilting due to the space issue. When I go to a class and they have a large area for sandwiching, I don't mind it so much.

Good luck!
    Tortugaquilter

6. Thanks AlohaSandy, Cat n bull thanked for this post
    ilive2craft2's Avatar ilive2craft2 is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When you say small room, what size is it? As we have discussed before, I really really want a setup similar to yours, but not sure if I have the room?

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    wow,, that's a challenge... i've heard that some people go to a nearby church hall or club,,, and they are allowed to use the tables there... we have a club house here so i'm lucky,,, i will say though , that it's the reason i bought the Grace frame and Janome high speed,,, it sits in the "middle of my small room"... and a pain to walk around... but what a difference... i can finish my own quilts... every one of them myself,, WHEN i want ...food for thought..
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

rebeccas-sewing's Avatar rebeccas-sewing is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

We're in a flat in London so not tons of space. I work in our bedroom since it's fairly large. We have a king-size bed in there on bed risers so we can use the space under the bed for storage. I have a folding table that I brought that I purchased from Sam's Club, also on bed risers, at the foot of the bed. I clamp the backing to the table with some plastic clamps and also some blue painter's tape when it doesn't completely drape off the table. It works pretty well. I can lay the part that doesn't fit on the table on the bed since it's right there or let it drape over the side of the table. No matter what you do you must clamp it down so it doesn't shift. I smooth out what's on the table and pin or spray baste. I keep moving the quilt around on the table until the whole thing is stabilized. You've got to take the time to make sure it is smoothed out otherwise you'll have problems. You should be able to feel if it's smooth by running your hands over the quilt.
    Rebecca in Baarn, Netherlands by way of Orange County, CA.

Cat n bull's Avatar Cat n bull is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do it like Tortugaquilter and use clips and baste in sections on the table. I do tape it to the table, but I use fleece on the backs and tape helps minimize it stretching. Painter's tape wouldn't hurt your table.

If your husband really gives you a hard time, ask him to help you baste it on the floor to see what it's like. Sometimes they just don't get it unless they experience it.

I got my clips from Office Max. The large binder clips.
    Cathryn

mom4him's Avatar mom4him is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the reasons I have gone to quilt as you go style quilting. I can sandwich each block, quilt it easily and then put them together. I am in the process of putting my first one together with this technic. We will see how it goes.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

MartinaG's Avatar MartinaG is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I borrow the tables in the lunch room after work.

When pin-basting, you really need to be careful with the table surface - they would scratch a wooden table. One tip I have seen is to lay a small ball or a small box under the backing that slides around. It will lift the sandwich just high enoug to where the you can get the pin in the backing without scratching the surface. I have not tried this.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

SummerTyme's Avatar SummerTyme is offline Senior Member
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

My least favorite part of the process too. Bought three 6' folding tables to can accommodate even my largest projects that can be stored in the garage until the next time. Because the tables take up so much valuable real estate in our small condo when I have them up, I make sure to finish the layering and basting so I can clear them back out of the way as quickly as possible. At least with the folding tables I don't have to worry about scratching the surface with the heads of those safety pins as I pin baste.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast