Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Many Fabric Jelly Rolls does it take to make a Queen size quilt using the Jelly Roll Race Quilt?

SewWhatsNewD is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Wink How Many Fabric Jelly Rolls does it take to make a Queen size quilt using the Jelly Roll Race Quilt?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to any blog. I watched Jenny's video about the Jelly Roll Quilt Race 2 weeks ago. I ordered 2 full size Jelly Rolls (hoping that would be enough) and then sat down this weekend and watched her video over and over to make sure I had ALL the instructions correct. I wrote notes. Yes, it is very easy, but wanted to have help 'remembering'.

I watched others of hers as well and again, took notes.

Back to my original question. I wonder how many Jelly Rolls I would need to make a Queen size Quilt top using the Jelly Roll Race Quilt 'pattern'?

I don't mind ordering a 3rd Jelly Roll as you can never have too much fabric. Ever!

Thanks so much,

Sharon

P.S. I had to call it a 'Fabric" Jelly Roll because all I could do was chuckle when I wrote it the first time without the word fabric. ha ha ha.

Mchelem is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Many Fabric Jelly Rolls does it take to make a Queen size quilt using the Jelly Roll Race Quilt?

Sorry-Double Post
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Mchelem is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Many Fabric Jelly Rolls does it take to make a Queen size quilt using the Jelly Roll Race Quilt?

Jean is the Jelly Roll Race Quilt QUEEN. (Jean Sewing Machine)

I think she (we) figured out 3 will make a king. Someone else asked this question the other day. She has notes in her profile.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Two 40 strip jelly rolls will make a quilt top 75" by 84". If you add borders, it can cover the queen mattress on three sides. I've made many of them this size. If you check my profile, I have some calculations in my User notes on how to make the quilt turn out this size. I also have pictures of Jelly Roll quilts in my album that are on a queen bed. I start out with 60 jelly roll strips, make that to a piece that will be 75" by 64". Then I sew 20 more jelly roll strips together, add 10 more rows, row by row, to make it longer.

You determine how wide your Jelly Roll quilt is by how many strips you start out with. You need to make sure you start out with enough, because the only way to add width after it is sewn together is to add borders. You can add length by sewing rows on to the bottom of your first top. All Jelly Roll race quilts, made the traditional way, with 32 rows of fabric will end up 64" long. You need to add rows after the fact to make them longer than 64".
    MrsOcean likes this.

5. Thanks shermur thanked for this post
    Eliza's Avatar Eliza is offline Senior Member
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I came across this when looking for a baby size quilt. She has the instructions for making a queen size quilt 88"x96" using the same two-section method that Jean uses but you would need an extra jelly roll.
    http://patchworkplayground.blogspot....uilt-math.html

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

All of you are wonderful. Thank you so much for your very helpful information.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

All of you are wonderful. Thank you so much for your very helpful information.

I think I will make sure I have extra fabric to make matching Pillow Shams.

Cinda is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

This morningI put together 3 Jelly rolls 1600 style in hopes of coming out with a queen size top. Along the way I did find that you need to cut off the 18" or so at the start of the 3rd roll just like you do in the 1600 or you end up with ends or seams too close together. I ended up with a top using the 3 jelly rolls sized 71" x about 112" (I haven't pressed it yet, I expect it will be about 115" after pressing). Now all I have to do is figure out how much bordering and trimming I need and think the project will be okay. I hope this helps and if anyone has any suggestions for my quilt top let me know

Cinda is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I guess since this is my first time on a blog, I did it wrong, I answered but down at the bottom of the forum. My answer to this question is approximately 3 rolls. I completed a 1600 type top this morning using 3 rolls, I did find out along the way you need to cut off the initial 18" again on the 3rd roll or your staggered seams will be too close together. The end result of these three rolls 1600 style come out to a top 71" x 112", although I haven't pressed it yet and think it will be more like 71" x 115" when pressed. I think with trimming and bordering this will make a nice generous queen size quilt. I guess you could call a queen a "4800" jelly roll race, ha ha.

Sirenizzed is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Two 40 strip jelly rolls will make a quilt top 75" by 84". If you add borders, it can cover the queen mattress on three sides. I've made many of them this size. If you check my profile, I have some calculations in my User notes on how to make the quilt turn out this size. I also have pictures of Jelly Roll quilts in my album that are on a queen bed. I start out with 60 jelly roll strips, make that to a piece that will be 75" by 64". Then I sew 20 more jelly roll strips together, add 10 more rows, row by row, to make it longer.

You determine how wide your Jelly Roll quilt is by how many strips you start out with. You need to make sure you start out with enough, because the only way to add width after it is sewn together is to add borders. You can add length by sewing rows on to the bottom of your first top. All Jelly Roll race quilts, made the traditional way, with 32 rows of fabric will end up 64" long. You need to add rows after the fact to make them longer than 64".
    I'm new to the quilting bug and watched your video on youtube. By your calculations if i wanted a full size jelly roll race quilt the formula would be 54" wide x 32= 1728 / 40= 44 strips then i may need to add panels for additional length. Correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast