Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roxanne is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Self binding baby blanket

I watched Jenny's tutorial today for the self binding baby blanket. I really like how easy it is. My question is, do you all think it would work to use a cotton fabric or even a pieced cotton top and the flannel on the back? I want to make a baby quilt with the baby's name on it and was thinking I could applique the letters on, then put the flannel on the back. It would be quick and easy. What do you think? Another idea I had was to use flannel on both sides but applique the name on with regular cotton. Will it work to applique onto flannel?

Doloris's Avatar Doloris is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Self binding baby blanket

I make these all the time. I usually use fleece with cotton or flannel. if you use cotton and/or flannel together it will be thin like a receiving blanket. The fleece makes it more snuggly. I dont see a problem with the applique on the cotton or flannel piece. I make them any size too. Just make sure 1 piece is 10 inches larger than the other. for example 40x50 with 30x40 or 37x50 with 47x57. I also measure 5 inches in from each corner and put a pin, then match corners of smaller piece to the pins. It helps keep them squared.also put a pin at center of each side of each piece to match up. I also sew the opposite sides first and then the top and bottom. Seems to help keep it squared for me too. Fleece is on sale 50% at J's and I always find tons of it in the remnants and it will be half of the 50% price. Just make sure you find a piece the size you want. Have fun.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fleece with cotton is a great idea. I think I'll try that.

Hulamoon's Avatar Hulamoon is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Doloris, or anyone, I was thinking of just using flannel on the coin quilt I just made. I was just going to stitch in the ditch. But would you normally quilt on a two ply quilt? I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. My mother in law never used batting and made more blanket style quits and never quilted them. Hope that made sence. lol

Lorie

bakermom is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

i usually don't quilt much more than SID along the border on these. I think of them more as a heavy blanket rather than a quilt. just do enough to keep the layers from separating. The last one I did using the big star I just stitched along the border and thru the star. Since the back was a minkie-type fabric i was concerned the weight might make the layers stretch and separate more.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    i usually don't quilt much more than SID along the border on these. I think of them more as a heavy blanket rather than a quilt. just do enough to keep the layers from separating. The last one I did using the big star I just stitched along the border and thru the star. Since the back was a minkie-type fabric i was concerned the weight might make the layers stretch and separate more.
    That's what I was thinking, just going around the outside sashing, maybe on the strips going down the length of the coins.

So if you make a quilt top but don't "quilt" it, can you still call it a quilt?

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a quilt out of cotton with flannel and just birthed it. Then I did a decorative stitch around the outside in a topstitch manner. If you have a pattern you can stitch around it some. Just enough to anchor the 2 pieces together

MartinaG's Avatar MartinaG is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Doloris, or anyone, I was thinking of just using flannel on the coin quilt I just made. I was just going to stitch in the ditch. But would you normally quilt on a two ply quilt?
    A gal at work is making a 2-layer blanky for her DGD with flannel and fleece and she is tying it with yarn. So yes, you still want to secure the layers together. The method is up to you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

But can you still call it a quilt even though there is no batting and fancy stitching? I'm just curious if it's considered too lazy to be called a quilt.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I call anything that I put more than 1 piece of fabric together and it is meant to be a "blanket" a quilt. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast