Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using fabric lace in a quilt...

I have some nice lace fabric...thin and delicate kind. I want to use it to make a quilt to save for a grand daughters wedding (many years away!) I know that I can cut the lace the size of whatever and back it iwth a color fabric and the color shows through, but is there any other way I can use it? I figure do this and then I can always make HST's out of it and arrange the HST's in a block design, but it is the only thing I can think of. The lace has no "meaning" just was in a big bag of fabric I bought at the thrift store and thought of this idea.

Anyone used lace before? What did you do with it? I can see a star block..the star being the lace pieces and the background being...what...just a color she likes now and hope she still likes it in 10 years? Any blocks that you would recommend for the lace to stand out as the "main" patter in the block?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions or how-to's!

Quiltlover's Avatar Quiltlover is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using fabric lace in a quilt...

My sister used the lace from her wedding dress and made pillows for each of her childen and my daughter also. The pillow she made for my daughter was heart shaped and the fabric that she lined the pillow with was a floral print .....old fashioned looking. If you prefered something more modern, you could use a bright fabric or even a taffeta fabric as a lining...lots of options here. You could go to the fabric store with a square of your lace and search the bridal type fabrics for something that suits you as a lining. That's probably what I would do. You could also do something like a crazy quilt pillow using some fancy remnants like satin and taffeta and doing some embroidery around the seams. Lots of possibilities depending on how much time and work you would like to put into it. Let us see what you end up doing.

Claire Hallman's Avatar Claire Hallman is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for asking this question. I have some battenburg lace tablecloths that don't fit my table [not heirlooms] that I would love to put into a quilt somehow, maybe the perfect answer will pop up here.

Divine Daisy is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used lace a fair bit over time. There are various way to do it. As you say you can use a contrasting fabric, or a colour one or two shaes darker or lighter than your lace. There a few few things to concider. Is your lace cotton? Will it was well stand alone? I like to use a textured fabric like shot silk behind the lace if I am putting a square on square. Taffita gives a rather stiff finish which I don't like much. One thing I think about with wedding quilts is if they are all white and lacey how long will the couple feel it is useful? Lovely in the first year or so but after that I think they put them away as life takes over, kids and pets arrive.

You culd think about using your lace in applique on the quilt. You can get some lovely light and dreamy effects using lace that way. Depending on your lace you can 'catch' the edges rather than sewing a hard edge, on the other hand a hard edge makes the centre look amazing. Be careful with you thread colour. If it was me I would use it to do some stylised flowers on alternate blocks. I use this ladies makes of stabilizers and bond for very light fabrics. http://www.ericas.com/embdesigns/sta...rs_haskins.htm They give no stiffness to the body of the fabrics and literally disappear they are so delicate. Good luck!

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Daisy View Post
    I have used lace a fair bit over time. There are various way to do it. As you say you can use a contrasting fabric, or a colour one or two shaes darker or lighter than your lace. There a few few things to concider. Is your lace cotton? Will it was well stand alone? I like to use a textured fabric like shot silk behind the lace if I am putting a square on square. Taffita gives a rather stiff finish which I don't like much. One thing I think about with wedding quilts is if they are all white and lacey how long will the couple feel it is useful? Lovely in the first year or so but after that I think they put them away as life takes over, kids and pets arrive.

You culd think about using your lace in applique on the quilt. You can get some lovely light and dreamy effects using lace that way. Depending on your lace you can 'catch' the edges rather than sewing a hard edge, on the other hand a hard edge makes the centre look amazing. Be careful with you thread colour. If it was me I would use it to do some stylised flowers on alternate blocks. I use this ladies makes of stabilizers and bond for very light fabrics. http://www.ericas.com/embdesigns/sta...rs_haskins.htm They give no stiffness to the body of the fabrics and literally disappear they are so delicate. Good luck!
    Thanks alot for the advise. Not sure how I will do it...but I do have time!