Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? Lap Quilts

candy is offline Senior Member
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? Lap Quilts

I have volunteered to make lap quilts for Christmas presents for residents of a nursing home. Can someone tell me the best size to make these? I would also appreciate any ideas you have on making these. Thanks!

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ? Lap Quilts

I would make them at least 5 feet long (60") and about 45-50" wide. This can cover a good size adult up to their shoulders in case they want to cover more than their lap. Jelly Roll Race quilts come out about this size, and they are great for snuggling under. Use a 40 strip jelly roll to get this size.

rebeccas-sewing's Avatar rebeccas-sewing is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

How many do you need to make? Jean's jelly roll idea is a good one. You might also consider "quilt as you go" for another speedy quilt. Making over-sized blocks can be fun too to speed up the process. Just take a simple block and double the size requirements. Taking strips and sewing about 8 of them together and then cutting them into square blocks would give you a pretty quick scrappy quilt of square blocks. You could sash them to make them even larger.
    Rebecca in London by way of Orange County, CA.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I won't know until Tuesday how many I will have to make. I bought 8 plastic tubs of fabric a few weeks ago for $25.00! I will use this fabric to make alot of these. There is alot of checked and plaid fabric in the tubs so alot of the quilts will be scrappy quilts. I also got 3 plastic tubs of double knit that same day. They gave me the double knit. Any ideas on how to use the double knit?

SuzyQue is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! What a way to add to your stash.....huge bulk purchase. I hope most of it is usable fabric, for you. YEARS ago my great aunt made me a double knit quilt....very heavy to sleep under! It has served our family for years as a picnic quilt. It has traveled in each car for emergencies. I think my middle child still has it in her car. It is very colorful and textured even......but you can't wear it out!! It will make a great packing quilt for moving furniture, too!

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

? Lap Quilts-maddies-quilt.jpgAnother fast and easy pattern to make is the half-square triangle lightning quilt. I make my squares 8-1/2" and sew the HST, it makes a quick top and is cute. You can make yours scrappy using all your great fabric stash. Just finished one I started many months ago for my granddaughter. This is another one I made for her last January. This one is about 60+" by 48".

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! This one is beautiful! I will try to make one. I need all the fast and easy ideas I can get. Thanks!

auntiemern's Avatar auntiemern is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Minimally I would make it at least 50" x 60". There are several patterns out that you can get together pretty quickly. As Jean suggested the JRR or the HST, or you could just do a big block quilt. The easier the blocks the faster it will go. If using the knit I would using a very thin, like flannel for the batting to keep the weight down. Make sure you post pics of your finished projects.

Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

A quilt is something you make to keep someone you love...WARM.....

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Marilyn......

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to post pictures if only I knew how to. I will have to get my DS to come over and teach me!

Denis's Avatar Denis is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Victoria's Quilt makes theirs 50 X 70 and I think Quilts of Valor uses this as one of their minimum sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast