Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jelly rolls

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jelly rolls

Can anyone let me know how many jelly rolls I need to make a quilt for a king size bed. I'm new to the quilting world and this will be my first attempt at such a large project.

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jelly rolls

Here is a site that shows you the bedding sizes. http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main...uides!OpenPage

Let us assume that you are making a quilt 106” x 98”. Let us also assume that you are NOT using any other fabric for borders. If your jelly roll strips are 45" long you will have to allow for seams and removing the selvedge edge. Let's take 3 inches off just to be safe. So, assuming we now have 42" we'll divide 106 by 42 and arrive at: 2.52 - or right at 2 1/2 strips to go the width of the quilt. Now, assuming a standard 2 1/2 inch wide strip, which will leave you at 2 inches once you allow for the 1/4" seam, we'll divide 98" by 2" and will wind up with: 49 which will be the number of rows you will need.

49 rows requiring 2 1/2 strips per row will give us: 122 1/2 jelly roll strips. A standard MODA jelly roll will have 45 strips, but some only have 24, 40, 42 . . . it does depend on the colorways and repeats in the package so you will need to pay close attention. For safety, let us assume 40 strips only. 122.5 divided by 40 = will give you just a bit over 3 rolls. If your jelly roll has a complete 45 strips then you will only need 2 3/4 rolls.

I'd get three rolls and depending upon whether or not you add a border you will have some extra or not - depending on the number of strips in the roll.

Good Luck - welcome to the forum and come ask questions any time.

Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves. ~Eric Sevareid

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also check here: http://www.missouriquiltco.com/pre-c...lly-rolls.html

You can tell that some jelly rolls only have 30 strips - so go back to my formula above and substitute the number of strips to get a more accurate number or rolls to purchase.

Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves. ~Eric Sevareid

madampolo's Avatar madampolo is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, I am impressed with your calculations! I followed them easily. Sharon, I am impressed that you are new to quilting and are making a king size quilt. I am trying to make a king bedspread going all the way to the floor and covering the pillows. I have been quilting for maybe 25 years or so, and this is my first attempt at such a large quilt. I am surprised it only takes three jelly rolls for a standard king quilt. That tells you how much fabric is in one of those. Good luck on your jelly roll quilt!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck for your first quilt. Sandy gave you great instructions on how many to purchase! I've make queen size jelly roll quilts, but never a king size one. It sounds like a daunting task.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 5th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

missy008's Avatar missy008 is offline Junior Member
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....make sure you post pictures! I'm going to attempt a blanket with just one jelly roll and I'm a little nervous! LOL

auntiemern's Avatar auntiemern is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what Sandy said. What a wiz she is.
    Our Quilt Fabric Store ------------- The Quilting Cupboard
    http://thequiltingcupboard.aradium.com/

The Quilting Cupboard https://www.facebook.com/groups/quiltingcupboard//

Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

lilmouse's Avatar lilmouse is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made one and it was fun but I did mine a little different...used one jelly roll in the normal fashion...then added strips to the bottom rotating how I sewed them so they looked just like the rest....then added narrow border to the sides and ran jelly roll strips on either side until I came close to the width I wanted...border with same fabric as the two sides and added additional borders to reach the final size I needed....came out really cool!

Winniesfriend's Avatar Winniesfriend is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep definitely agree what Sandy said - she makes it sound so easy.
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leonie

CrazyMtnLady's Avatar CrazyMtnLady is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome. Good luck on your quilt. Be sure to post pictures as you go so we can give you words of encouragement along the way. It can be very frustrating when working on your first big quilt, do not get discouraged. There are a lot of great ladies and gents on here that are willing to help you in any way they can.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast