Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    QuiltingMawMaw is offline Junior Member
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Machine Quilting Beginner

I love doing the quilting part of my quilts but I do not like marking...it takes too long. I want to just get to the stitching. It takes lots of practice but I just do free motion without any marks. I keep the designs simple and they certainly aren't perfect or uniform like they are with a long arm but they look nice and I did it myself!! I have a Bernina and use the BSR foot which really helps keep regulate the stitches.

Some tips I've learned:

- Relax and take your time; I've found the slower I go the better the results
    - Work on small portions at a time; don't try to tackle the whole quilt in one sitting
    - I use glycerin on my hands to grip the fabric better
    - I love using the Monopoly thread for my quilting; it stitches nicely and because it is clear, it hides lots of mistakes!
    - I use the Supreme Slider to help the fabric slide easily
    - Oh, and RELAX your shoulders! At first, I hunched my shoulders and crimped my toes and I hurt after an hour of quilting....

Unless your quilts are for shows, they will be great. I know there are mistakes and my stitches are perfect but for my purposes, they are awesome! And the recipients of the quilts I give as gifts, think they are fabulous!

HAVE FUN!

Laurdee is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine Quilting Beginner

I agree with the above post. I've only been quilting for 3-1/2 years, and just LOVE free motion quilting. I do keep my designs simple, and love LOVE the way they come out. I, too, have to remind myself to lower my shoulders and relax. I put on some of my favorite music and go at it!

I did buy that Supreme Slider (not inexpensive, either), and found the fabric moved better without it! Maybe it's just me. the lady at the fabric store swore by it!

Oh, and I wear the quilting gloves for a good grip. I've learned to make sure I use the "needle down" position, and do try to go slow! Sometimes I keep a book open with a pattern I want to use (or I draw the design I want to quilt) and keep glancing at it.

Practice practice practice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12