Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    azillini is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fiskars vs Olfa rotary cutter 45mm vs 60mm

I'm getting ready to buy my first rotary cutter.....so which is better? Olfa or Fiskars? When do you use 45mm or 60mm? They all work on fleece, right? Hoping to buy 1 or the other to start, then may add a 2nd. I want something easier on my hands & wrists. All opinions will be valuable. Newbie here,
    Azillini

auntiemern's Avatar auntiemern is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fiskars vs Olfa rotary cutter 45mm vs 60mm

I have both, but only use my Fiskars 45 mm. I like the way it fits in my hand. I have arthritis, so I have to use something that feels good to me. It is easy to grip, and I like the way the blade retracts. I am sure you will get as many answers as you have responses, I think it is just personal preference. Which ever you choose, do not cut over 4 layers of cotton at one time or one layer of fleece. Accuracy will be better, and blades will last longer.

Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

A quilt is something you make to keep someone you love...WARM.....

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Marilyn......

Musical_Starling's Avatar Musical_Starling is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have three fiskars cutters, all 45mm and the small one that goes with the circle cut ruler (not sure of the name). I think 45mm is more "universal", it will do better with curves or smaller spaces. 60mm is usually only if you're cutting a lot of material or something very thick. As Marilyn said, you'll get many different opinions here as everyone has their favourites and for different reasons.

I will say this though, even though I don't have arthritis, of the three Fiskars that I have (stick, comfort loop, and softouch), the easiest is by far the softouch. Not sure if you can still get them, I don't see them on the Fiskars website, but I find the stick to be hardest on my wrists, the comfort loop is great, but the button can be a little tough sometimes, but the softouch you just squeeze the handle together (it doesn't take much effort) and away you go! I also like that the guard automatically goes back in place once you let go, unlike the other two. I do use the stick more though, but only because I can cut with both hands and I switch back and forth often. Hope that helps
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

pcbatiks's Avatar pcbatiks is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Azillini and welcome to the forum. I have the Olfa 45mm ergonomic cutter. #RTY-2/DX It has the handle that you squeeze to cut and release and it retracts. Less chance of cutting yourself...........the blades or EXTREMELY sharp! Happy quilting!

lilmouse's Avatar lilmouse is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the simple olfa brand and I love it...but rotary cutters are very personal...what works for one doesn't neccasarily (sp) work for another.....with fiskars I kept shaving my rulers...lol; with olfa I don't...so it really is personal preference!

GinnyKNC is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have both Olfas or Fiskars. I acutally like the Olfas better because they are sharper.

Poppytree's Avatar Poppytree is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 45 Olfa - unbelievably sharp and has seen me through 20 projects before the blade needed to be replaced - Great retractable handle so very little change of nasty nicks. (I very rarely cut through more than 3 layers)

brook's Avatar brook is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Olfa 45mm. I've tried a fiskar once that my friend had and when pressure was put on the blade while cutting, the blade retracted. It may have just been hers but I didn't care for it. : )
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

K. McEuen's Avatar K. McEuen is online now Moderator
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used Fiskars without any issues. I will say that my oldest one is starting to wear out. Like Coleen said, when I put pressure on it to cut, it retracts a lot of the time. I think I've worn the spring out in it. Of course it's over 15 years old too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes.
    Make sure it's worth watching.

K is for Karen

Looking for easier access to MSQC Tutorials? Check my User Notes.

KatiesQuiltingCorner's Avatar KatiesQuiltingCorner is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Fiskars 60mm cutter! It is what I use 95% of the time. I have an Olfa 45 but it doesn't get used very much.
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast