Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Granny Judy's Avatar Granny Judy is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Organizing my stash...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stladygigi08 View Post
    That is just awesome, I'm just starting out and I have been purchasing the layer cakes and charms packs. when I buy fabric what is a suggestion of how much I should buy, I know some will say it depends on what you are making but I want to just have material on hand and not have to run to the fabric store every time I start a project. What do u think minimum of 2 yards of each fabric I buy
    First, what size quilts do you make?
    Queen, Full, Twin or just Throws? This will be your guide to how much fabric to purchase and stash.

I go for the 4 and 7 yard since most of my quilts are twin size. 4 yards should make a decent wide border or binding .. and 7 yards for backing. Any left overs go into my blocks/ mini fabric stash.

AS for purchasing solids... PLEASE DO get a good amount of those...they offset and show off your prints when you combine them.
    Or go for the tiny prints that look solid if you see them from a distance.

Now to get MY STASH organized. I just can't seem to get to that part... I start seeing too many possibilities and start cutting.

brittyboo07's Avatar brittyboo07 is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhhh this is a great idea for when I move my sewing room. Not that I have a lot of fabric but I can get started haha! Thanks for sharing!
    Britt

buckeyequilter's Avatar buckeyequilter is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1stladygigi08 View Post
    That is just awesome, I'm just starting out and I have been purchasing the layer cakes and charms packs. when I buy fabric what is a suggestion of how much I should buy, I know some will say it depends on what you are making but I want to just have material on hand and not have to run to the fabric store every time I start a project. What do u think minimum of 2 yards of each fabric I buy
    If I'm not sure and just want to build my stash I buy 3 yards. I just ordered the comic book boards today because I don't like to dig through drawers, totes or stacks to find what I want.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter

I got a sewing machine for my husband! Good trade, huh?
    Groups:
    2014 UFO Challenge

GrammaBabs's Avatar GrammaBabs is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... the boards arrived... but i'm with GrannyJudy... when i start handling it,,, i get too many ideas... that's why it's always such a mess.... i'm a sewer creator... NOT a neat person... LOL...And i do have the excuse of needing to finish up my Jacob Ladder blocks to send for the floral swap... my first group... glad i did it... then i embroidered a label for someone needing it... then put blocks on the design wall at quilt group today,,, oh, and made a table topper and coasters from the first bunch of JL swaps that weren't going to make it... and on and on... so i got a ton of excuses!!! As DH would say... "she loves to cook, and sew",,, but hates to clean up her mess.... LOL.... but i'm getting there,,, i'm leaving for a first ever vaca in 24 days... sohi'm sure i can procrasinate for that much time.... LOL... but promise i'll get crackin' when i get back... I HOPE....
    Sandy... not a word!!!!
    Last edited by GrammaBabs; April 24th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
    "Each day well-live and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Debbie MM is offline Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Does work for regular fabric too , you have gotten me motivated, I didn't realize how much quilting fabric I had until I decide to start organizing my stash. Most of the pieces are less than a yard

madampolo's Avatar madampolo is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used poster board for my fabric. I doubt that it is acid free, but at my age, it really doesn't matter. I cut the boards into six larger boards and two smaller boards using a ruler and exacto knife. I am sorry I don't remember the sizes. I used the larger boards for larger pieces of fabric, and the thinner boards for smaller pieces. What I didn't like about the comic book boards are that they are not sturdy enough. In any case, I got 8 boards for about $2.50, and all my fabric is organized like in the picture above, but more by color. I have two 5 shelf bookcases full, and don't feel like that is enough!

Granny Judy's Avatar Granny Judy is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Geesh, my stash is puny when compaired to some of you gals... Not even a bookcase full.. maybe a shelf and 1/2. But I ordered the "boards" anyhow and perhaps they will motivate me to get organized EARLY on. Meanwhile I chopped up a couple of 1/2 yards to try this Tavern Blue Civil War block. I was gonna order the pattern, but it was "out of stock". I only procrastinated a day.....really. I think I am in love with that block since trying it out "on my own"... hope they get that pattern back in stock soon.

auntiemern's Avatar auntiemern is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Some day I will be able to turn my spare room into a wonderful sewing room like some of you ladies have. As for now it will remain, my grand kids play room and occasional guest room for them. They live very close, and don't spend the night very often. I have some 'bolt' boards that I plan on cutting down to neaten up my stash. But alas, for now I will dig thru totes to get what I am looking for. But hey, at least I have them organized by color. Not gonna say how many totes I have. LOL
    Our Quilt Fabric Store ------------- The Quilting Cupboard
    http://thequiltingcupboard.aradium.com/

The Quilting Cupboard https://www.facebook.com/groups/quiltingcupboard//

Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Klasien's Avatar Klasien is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep looking at those comic book boards, we don't have those here in the Netherlands....wish I bought some last week while in the USA.....forgot about that.
    Now I have to find a way to get all the fabric I bought to fit in my closet......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234