Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!

snippet's Avatar snippet is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!

At a recent class, the instructor showed off a really great idea for a purse. It's just a plain purse/wristlet, but the amazing part is the closure - it uses a 1" metal tape measure! You cut two lengths of the tape measure a bit shorter than the width of the purse and then slip it into a small pocket at the top of the bag. The measuring tape is rigid enough to keep the bag shut, but bends easily when pried open. It snaps shut when you release it! It's so clever!

Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!-4688908610_557f9a4db5.jpg

Here are a few links and instructions:
    - What I've been working on in the sewing room... - The Crafty Quilter
    - A Joyful Soul Fabrics: POP! Bags
    - Ladybird Ln: Sassy Coin Purse with Tape Measure Snap!
    There are a bunch of links on Pinterest too - just search snap bags and enjoy

Be careful when cutting the metal tape measure (use tin snips, not your scissors!) and tape the ends of each piece to keep it from being so sharp and cutting you or the fabric. It also helps to round the corners of the tape measure a bit too.

The instructor said the cheap tape measures from the dollar store are too flimsy to use. She advised using old tape measures from garage sales or your own tool box.

This is definitely something for my to-do list. I'm even wondering how it might work on a big tote bag....hmmmm....probably would have to be a large tape measure measuring an inch or more.... hmmmm
    Last edited by snippet; August 18th, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
    •.ΈΈΈ.•*¨¨*•• Carol ••*¨¨*•.ΈΈΈ.•
    Other hobbies: movies, music, cooking, geocaching, traveling Sewing Machines: Pfaff Creative 3.0, Pfaff Tiptronic 6270, Necchi 537FB
    Pinterest: My Boards Threadbias: My Studio
    I have this precut, what can it make? Click here...

Sew Perfect's Avatar Sew Perfect is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!

Not only is that really cute, but it's a nifty idea too!
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Iris Girl's Avatar Iris Girl is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

we done these in class a few years ago called snap bags they are very interesting. And yes the tape measures are very sharp and its so easy to get a paper type cut and bleed all over your bag. Our big problem was finding a tape measure reasonably priced. The cheap ones are too skinny and buying a 25 dollar craftsman one is out of the question, so is stealing hubbys if I want to live...LOL
    bkthomas, Lisapc and HdWench like this.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Shirley's Avatar Shirley is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made several of these and the tape measure closures really work great!
    Lisapc likes this.
    Shirley

slamb13's Avatar slamb13 is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen these bags but I need to figure out something I can use instead of the metal, because I am on the clumsy side and there is NO doubt I'd be bleeding all over these bags! lol I was wondering if anyone has tried the rubber slap bracelets in place of the metal.

Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

6. Thanks Jean Sewing Machine thanked for this post
    Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!-image.jpgI just made one of these this week, amd I'm wondering where to steal a tape measure to cut up to make more. I bought a kit with the tape measure pieces already included.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; August 18th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
    HdWench likes this.

Panda is online now Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have made several of these. I first learned about them from a quilt shop I went to on a shop hop. Now it is my favorite quilt shop. I just keep buying the kits from her, because they are only $6,50 each. My 16 year old granddaughter loves them for gifts to give to her friends.

Kathy

Lisapc's Avatar Lisapc is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is a brand new idea to me. Thank you for the links!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

All comments made as a Moderator will be in blue. Please don't make me use blue!

quiltingtrish's Avatar quiltingtrish is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made about 30 of these and most of them were gifts for the teachers I work with last year for Christmas. They can be used for all kinds of stuff. One I made larger for a 6 year old that was going through getting her tonsils out and put in an activity book and markers for her to keep busy during recovery so she wouldn't think too much about her throat hurting. They can be customized with fabric you use - Eagles fabric for a teacher that loves the Eagles football team, princess material for the little girl, blueberry fabrics for my sister that decorates in that theme, sewing notions for quilters, etc. One gal uses hers to put her camera in when she goes on trips.

Just a few tips I found while sewing them - I found to be careful of is of course, the sharp edges (I had trouble using snips and ended up using old scissors - rounded the corners off and try to cut over a trash can so you don't have to pick up the pieces you snip off - they might go flying across the room and try to find those little buggers so the animals don't step on them - trust me, it happens - ask me how I know), and be careful when sewing the last side seams up because if you don't sew in close enough you could get a hole on the sides where items could slip out. Oh, plus - make sure you slip the metal tape in right or it won't snap and watch you don't sew over your tape pieces. I think it could break your needle. You could even do them in assembly style like I did. They go very quick and it took me about 2 days to do about 20 bags.
    Oh - I didn't put that little tab on mine but I did use a zigzag stitch on the top flap - it added a little extra design to it - just try to not pull on the material when sewing or it could distort the zigzag.
    They all loved them so much, now I am on a mission to find a gift for this year they will like just as much.
    My girlfriend picked up the tapes for me and I forget where she got them. I'll find out later today and let you know. I think it was Home Depot or Lowes and they were a great price.

Hugs,
    Last edited by quiltingtrish; August 18th, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

bubba's Avatar bubba is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a tote for an auction using this. Patterns are called 'Snap Happy'. The most difficult part for me was trying to get the case the tape measure was in apart and I tried to do that for about half an hour before it dawned on me that I could just pull the entire tape out and cut it!!! Make sure you do this, because if you don't, it will all wind back in and you won't have an easy time getting it back out!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast