Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mgreen2427's Avatar mgreen2427 is offline Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New MSQC Tutorial - Quilting with Old Jeans

I have been collecting jeans for about 3 months. Now to figure out which project to start first!! As soon as I'm able....a lot going on since March around here.
    Melissa Greenfield Have a quilt-tastic day !

jet4361's Avatar jet4361 is offline Member
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I love my denim quilt. It is the heaviest quilt that own. My denim quilt is one that my granny made from my grandpas overalls. It has flannel or some thin batting in it. The denim is sewed in strips and the quilt is tied with red yarn instead of quilted. This quilt has been thru the mill and washed numerous times. It still looks great. I wish I could ask her more questions about the construction, but those details are lost to me now.
    What a small, wonderful world we quilt in!

coffeebreak's Avatar coffeebreak is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

INteresting, but I had to cringe when she cut the "seat" part... I use that part to make jean purses!

LadyGray's Avatar LadyGray is offline Junior Member
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED this tutorial! I had similar questions about backing, batting, etc. I am brand new to quilting, and would LOVE to make this - I'm thinking maybe a quilt-as-you-go project??

Re: Jet4361's post - my daddy was a farmer, and when he passed, I'm sure my mom got rid of a TON of old overalls. What I wouldn't give to have them back now!!!

Tanya D's Avatar Tanya D is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently finished a denim quilt for my husband. I decided not to put batting in it as I thought it would be plenty warm without it but now I'm wishing I had. The reason being is you can feel the seams thru the backing. He doesn't care, he'll still use it but if I was to make another one, I would put something in between so make it softer on the back.

It's really neat because I can look at the quilt and point out which piece of jean belongs to who in my family. My LAQ also stitched his name randomly on the quilt.

Name:  Stevesdenimquilt.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  12.3 KB
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

madeinamerica is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I really like cropped t shirts and jeans; highly warm and fashionable. Street apparel and glam grunge is so neat lately.I love this style, I will totally going to own one this season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12