Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Miss Mandie is offline Junior Member
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Layer cake quilt sizes

Hello. This is my first time here, as I am new to quilting.

My question is, how many layer cakes does it take to make a queen size quilt? also, what are the measurements, and how many blocks would it be across and downwards.

Hoping you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Mandie.

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer cake quilt sizes

Mandie, first WELCOME to the forum and WELCOME to quilting. Here are a couple sites that you should be familiar with - other than Missouri Star (which you've found and WILL find is the very BEST!!): http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/QuiltSize.shtml
    and
    http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main...uides!OpenPage
    and
    http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main...uides!OpenPage

A Queen-size quilt would be (approximately) 84” x 92”. So, depending on whether or not you plan borders, just assuming the 84x92 inches would require 8 blocks across and 9 blocks down (assuming, also, 10" square blocks in your layer cake . . . some may be a slightly different size). 8x9 = 72, so you would need 72 blocks. Most layer cakes have anywhere from 20 to 40+ squares in them . . . so it would depend on which layer cakes you have to use and how many pieces were included in each layer cake.

Sure hope this helps!! Oh, and watch out. Quilting is extremely addictive . . . and oh, so much fun!

Whew! I just ran 2 miles. What a workout.
    I didn't think that ice cream truck would ever stop.

3. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy.

Thank you for your reply and help. I am using 3 layer cakes (42 x 10"). Using the measurements you just gave me, will I have enough left over to make a border as well and what width? And yes, I am already addicted, the layer cakes and jelly rolls are so great for a beginner. Thanks again. Mandie

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mandie View Post
    Sandy.

Thank you for your reply and help. I am using 3 layer cakes (42 x 10"). Using the measurements you just gave me, will I have enough left over to make a border as well and what width? And yes, I am already addicted, the layer cakes and jelly rolls are so great for a beginner. Thanks again. Mandie
    The width of your borders? Kinda depends on what you personally like, whether or not you need additional width and length to the top, etc. Look at the first link I sent you and measure your bed so you know how big you actually need your finished quilt to be and go from there. Personally I don't like a border any more than about 8 inches maximum . . . but depending on the pattern and the size requirements you may want it a bit larger. Don't go too large or it will throw off the balance of the quilt. Most of the quilts I have made have only about a 4 or 5 inch border. Although, one I am binding now has no border and I really love it!

Whew! I just ran 2 miles. What a workout.
    I didn't think that ice cream truck would ever stop.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    The width of your borders? Kinda depends on what you personally like, whether or not you need additional width and length to the top, etc. Look at the first link I sent you and measure your bed so you know how big you actually need your finished quilt to be and go from there. Personally I don't like a border any more than about 8 inches maximum . . . but depending on the pattern and the size requirements you may want it a bit larger. Don't go too large or it will throw off the balance of the quilt. Most of the quilts I have made have only about a 4 or 5 inch border. Although, one I am binding now has no border and I really love it!

Thanks. I will see how big I eventually make it with the help of the measurements given to me here on the forum, then I guess I will have to decide how I go with the borders. I will use your measurements as a guide. Thanks again, it is great to have so much help when you are a beginner.

FYRKRKR is offline Junior Member
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the topic I am also a rookie at this and debating how much I need of what... Oh, I should really pick a pattern first. Nah, too easy!
    Gayle Ballinger, aka Fyrkrkr
    Quilter, knitter, friend, dog trainer and actress.
    May God bless you and your loved ones and may He bless America and all of the men and women serving this country to protect our freedom, and bring them home, healthy and whole.