Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Jean Sewing Machine's Avatar Jean Sewing Machine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serger seam removal

You all commented when we asked about quilting using the serger that ripping seams was a pain. Well, in the three serger baby quilts I've made this weekend, I've gotten a lot of practice, mostly because I've been going too fast and turned a piece of fabric wrong side out. But I am an expert at ripping serged seams, I've done it enough on costumes that I've sewed wrong! It still is a cool pattern, and makes up very quickly if you need a quick baby quilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

CrazyMtnLady's Avatar CrazyMtnLady is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger seam removal

I watched that tutorial yesterday and I love the pattern. I plan on cutting my strips and having it all ready to sew when I get my new machine. Of course I won't be using a serger, but she made it very clear how to sew it with a regular machine. I can't wait.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Bubby's Avatar Bubby is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's a skill I don't care to master!!!
    www.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

When I learned to quilt, I forgot how to cook!

KatiesQuiltingCorner's Avatar KatiesQuiltingCorner is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to add some embroidery to mine when I try it out. I wonder how it would work with Minkee and flannel?
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

toggpine's Avatar toggpine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, serger seams aren't that hard to pull out. The ripper just pops through two lines of stitching, go along several inches and pop the same lines of stitching pull them out by the tails, and then the upper and lower looper thread just zip right out!
    If you can't make that work I have cut along the edge by slipping the scissors under the threads and then used the seam ripper like you normally would and with the help of a lint roller it goes pretty fast.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Actually, serger seams aren't that hard to pull out. The ripper just pops through two lines of stitching, go along several inches and pop the same lines of stitching pull them out by the tails, and then the upper and lower looper thread just zip right out!
    If you can't make that work I have cut along the edge by slipping the scissors under the threads and then used the seam ripper like you normally would and with the help of a lint roller it goes pretty fast.
    Yep, I've used all those methods! And if it doesn't matter much in sizing, I just cut the whole serged seam off and then I start fresh! Use this method in costume gathered skirts where it doesn't matter if you lose a 1/2" of fabric in the gathers. Not a good method for fitted items! I've found serging is great for finishing, but if you think you might have to resew for fitting, DO NOT SERGE THE SEAMS!

toggpine's Avatar toggpine is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! I don't think I have ever cut the whole seam off! A quick solution to be sure!
    I did just pull out the leg seam of my daughter's pants to make a repair in the knee. They had serged the seam and then come back in with a regular stitch to tailor the pant leg. Interesting way to have a finished seam and yet still have the shape you want on the garment.
    I'm not sure if all of the seam ripping & re-stitching was worth it for a child's pair of pants, but she'll get at least another few months worth of wear out of them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatiesQuiltingCorner View Post
    I'm going to add some embroidery to mine when I try it out. I wonder how it would work with Minkee and flannel?
    I think embroidery would be very cool. I haven't worked with Minkee, but I imagine it would be so soft. Same for flannel.