Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shannon's Avatar Shannon is offline Senior Member
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default know anything about fridges?

It looks like it's time to start shopping for a new fridge. Mine is atleast 10 years old and rapidly heading for the great beyond. I havent even looked at all the new models and my head is spinning..who knew they would be so complicated 10 years later?

Anyway, anyone have any thought of styles they like or don't like? Any features that are not worth it or any that I should hold out for? Any special brand?

This is going to be one of my first major purchases alone so I sure would appreciate a little input if you all have a minute.

thanks ladies and happy weekend!!
    ~Shannon~

Women are Angels ...
    And when someone breaks our wings...
    we simply continue to fly...
    on a broomstick...

We are flexible....

Bubby's Avatar Bubby is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: know anything about fridges?

Hi Shannon,

Sorry your fridge is going out...or should I be sorry if you are going to get a nice new one!

There are alot of beautiful fridges out there. One type I do NOT like is the side-by-side type...because neither side is large enough to be worth anything. In most of them you can't even get a frozen pizza into the freezer. The one I currently have is a three door model...french doors on the fridge on top and the freezer on the bottom. I love this style because everything in the fridge area is at eye level. How often do you open your freezer compared to the number of times you open the fridge! It also have the shallow wide drawer on the bottom of the fridge. I love this for lunch meat and cheeses....or big trays of veggies or other party foods.

Features I like: Energy Star rating; three door model (fridge above-freezer below); door alarm; roll-out shelves; shallow drawer mentioned above; ice maker; purified water dispenser inside fridge; adjustable door shelves; digital thermometer for fridge and freezer. I also like a fridge that I can pull out to clean behind myself without having to involve my DH.

Features I don't like or don't need: Anything that dispenses on the outside of the door (water/ice) because these items take up room inside your fridge/freezer. They often don't work well and are a pain to keep wiped up and clean. If you have kids or use a lot of ice, you might want this feature; separate meat keeper.

I have stainless steel appliances and they look wonderful but are a lot of extra upkeep even with two adults (or supposed to be adults) in the house. You may be shocked by the price of fridges. A good one will cost you $1800 - $3500 (approximately). My fridge is a Kenmore Elite and Ive had it about 7 years with no problems at all. Go to a store that carries several different brands and compare them and do this when you have time to really check them out. I buy a lot of our things at Lowe's (big box). I no long buy from Sears because of their service policy. I live in a rural community and they only come to our area once a week (if that) and after that initial visit they have to order parts and you have to wait at least another week for them to come back to actually do the repair. Who can be without a fridge or washer for two weeks or more!!

Shannon, sorry I didn't mean to write you a book!

Good luck making your decision...Barb
    Last edited by Bubby; April 28th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
    www.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

When I learned to quilt, I forgot how to cook!

MRoy's Avatar MRoy is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy Whirlpool appliances and have always had very good luck with them. I also have a very good dealer/service locally. I agree with Barb about side-by-sides not having enough room and I also don't like the water/ice in the door. My kitchen is small and my frig space is not adjustable, so I look for the biggest one I can fit in the space. Definitely look for Energy Star rated as it can save you money in the long run. My freezer is on top. I'm not familiar with how the the freezer on the bottom is set up, but if it's like a big chest freezer without several baskets or racks, then I don't think I'd like that because I don't like having to dig down in my big freezer to find something.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

New York Sue's Avatar New York Sue is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great observations Barb! What SHE said!!
    My DH talked me into a side by side (for the icemaker)...DISLIKE. AWFUL, actually.
    Thankfully, my old standard is operational in the basement, for the needed freezer space.
    My daughter has a french foor model with a freezer on the bottom. LOVE it! Especially while entertaining. Platters not a problem, space is ample.
    Happy shopping, Shannon!

CrazyMtnLady's Avatar CrazyMtnLady is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shannon, I would love to have a new refrigerator. I am with Barb, I do not like the side by side models. I want LOTS of shelf space and I like the ones that have a little wider door shelving.

I do not like the outside dispensers either. Especially living where I do (on a dirt country road) The dust is awful all over the house. And I just don't think those outside dispensers are very sanitary.

Stainless Steel is pretty, but the fingerprints show up way to much. I don't want anything that I would have to spend my time cleaning everyday! LOL

Good luck and happy shopping.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

kelliedi's Avatar kelliedi is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shannon my fridge just went out too so i will tell you this. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL ANYTHING. 1. they only have a 1 yr. warranty and the condensers go out in less than 4 yrs. and that is a 600-800 replacement. 2. do your research. go to the big box sites online and read reviews form customers. 3. Freezer on the bottom is awesome.

anyhow I hope this helps or at least gives you something to consider. kellie

Slokarma's Avatar Slokarma is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, NOW, most brands are made by a couple of the same BIG companies, just different badges, and they interchange pieces and parts made by another same company. The big thing for me after the personal choices, is the store I buy it from.....their reputation. Thank goodness we still have a family owned store that still does has their own service department!

I have a counter depth, side by side. But there's only two of us and I have a separate freezer. This size forces me to keep cleaning out the stuff that tends to collect in there. I wouldn't recommend it for most people and when the grandkids come, it is STUFFED!

DCM
    DCM is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Samsung with the french doors on top for the refrigerator section and then the bottom large freezer drawer. The doors have a lot of shelf space on them and you could fit a huge platter/deli tray/full sheet cake on any shelf. A good friend of mine has the same refrigerator and because of her recommendation as well as seeing hers I purchased mine. It can be hooked up to a water line so you can get cold filtered water inside the refrigerator and it has an ice maker.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

GrammaBabs's Avatar GrammaBabs is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

i have a s by s... not my favorite, but it's all that would fit in the space... something else to be sure of... we bought a small freezer which solved that problem... my ONE big gripe is............... that the one i bought has a feature on the "shelves" they consider a DRIP catcher edge.... Bull you know what!!!!! It is a nice smooth beveled edge,,, nice to look at , and i'm sure does the job catching "drips"... but you LOSE almost 2 inches either side ... PLUS... you cannot put items up close to the side because they "tip over"... VERY ANNOYING.. cannot imagine who came up with this idea.. but beware... it's a bummer... just wanted to share..
    "Each day well-live and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Suzyq is offline Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Barb!!! A fridge with a "door alarm" oh my ! That certainly would be the Cadillac of fridges! I have the silver metal front, a Kenmore, and don't even PONDER getting one unless you like to clean as otherwise it looks awful..Also, can't put fridge magnets on it either if that's your thing. My friend has a black one and it looks cool if that goes with your decor. We don't have the full size fridge as looks too big in our galley kitchen and yes u gotta clean it out more. Not sure if I'd want the lower freezer compartment as I'm tall and that would need bending to get stuff. Also, if you want that ice maker on the front or a tap, you should have a water filter connected to it, my DH says. I agree with watching the energy saver rating for the model you're interested in..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast