Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How To Stop Magazines You Did Not Order????

pcbatiks's Avatar pcbatiks is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How To Stop Magazines You Did Not Order????

We started getting Redbook magazines about a month ago............we got 3 issues in about a week & a half. So far we have been mailed about 5 magazines. We did not order them, did not ask for them & do not want them. Has anyone else had this happen and how to you go about getting them to stop being mailed to your house?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I tried calling a phone # I found & was told it was a 3rd party thing. So I was given a # to call.........you can't talk to a human.......just a recording......they give you a "website" to go to or an address to mail your request to. The website ask for WAY more info than I intend to give them and I should not have to mail a request to stop sending something I did not ask for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have not received a bill but will have to watch so they don't try to charge us.

I never buy mag subscriptions....even for quilting.........I just go buy one at the store..........because of this kind of foolishness.

Anyone else have this happen and how did you stop it?? Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks..........I'm going to eat a piece of chocolate now!
    Pam

There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter & good humor. --Charles Dickens

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

bkthomas's Avatar bkthomas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How To Stop Magazines You Did Not Order????

This reminds me of the episode on Everybody Loves Raymond....
    ...where Raymond gives his parents a fruit of the month club thing.....his Mom goes nuts!
    He always seemed to have a hard time with gifts for his parents.....

It would be interesting to find out who this was a gift from!
    ~Kathy~

Kgrammiecaz's Avatar Kgrammiecaz is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I say let them all be delivered and donate to a local senior home. When a bill does ever come, let them know you did not order.
    SallyO'Sews likes this.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Hulamoon's Avatar Hulamoon is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You could try the return the sender way. How about you collect them all and give them to the local hospital or nursing homes. I know you didn't ask for it, but maybe turn it into something positive. I got a bill for one of these things and I refused to pay it, so they stopped coming. If this was a gift to you I would be a little annoyed.

We get requests from kids in the family doing mag drives. You have anyone that would of signed you up for one?

Lorie

GinnyKNC is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would simply write return to sender on them and send them back. They will get the hint.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

easyquilts's Avatar easyquilts is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man.... Something very similar happened to me when I was first married..... Not fun, at all.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

WendyI's Avatar WendyI is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar happen to me except with hard cover books! I was NOT impressed....especially after I got the BILL! I agree...write return to sender and return them. If you keep them you may be required to pay.

Genny's Avatar Genny is online now Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    We started getting Redbook magazines about a month ago............we got 3 issues in about a week & a half. So far we have been mailed about 5 magazines. We did not order them, did not ask for them & do not want them. Has anyone else had this happen and how to you go about getting them to stop being mailed to your house?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I tried calling a phone # I found & was told it was a 3rd party thing. So I was given a # to call.........you can't talk to a human.......just a recording......they give you a "website" to go to or an address to mail your request to. The website ask for WAY more info than I intend to give them and I should not have to mail a request to stop sending something I did not ask for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have not received a bill but will have to watch so they don't try to charge us.

I never buy mag subscriptions....even for quilting.........I just go buy one at the store..........because of this kind of foolishness.

Anyone else have this happen and how did you stop it?? Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks..........I'm going to eat a piece of chocolate now!
    About three years ago happened to me with a book club that I didn't subscribe too. After the third bill I received from them I wrote exactually what you said..."I did not order these books, I do not want them and do not send me another book or bill". They didn't even have my name spelled right on the bill. If I'd ordered them I'm sure I'd know how to spell my own name... I wrote this on the last bill I received and have never heard from them since.
    ...Today is a good day to have a good day...

HandsomeRyan's Avatar HandsomeRyan is online now Senior Member
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GinnyKNC View Post
    I would simply write return to sender on them and send them back. They will get the hint.
    Magazines are shipped directly from a printing plant, not the headquarters of the magazine itself. Also magazines are shipped like postcards (no return address) so "return to sender" will end up in the garbage, not wherever they originated from.

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Junk Mail

Receipt of Unsolicited Merchandise
    A company sends you a gift in the mail--a ball point pen, a key chain, a tie. But you didn't order it. What do you do? If you are the type of person this company is looking for, you may feel guilty about accepting the item without paying for it. Don't feel guilty! It's yours, and you are under no obligation to pay anything.
    You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:

• Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.
    • Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.

And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.
    These rules are codified in Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009. That section of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 incorporates these protections for American consumers and makes the mailing of unordered merchandise unfair methods of competition and unfair trade practices under the law.
    If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

• If you have not opened the package, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the Postal Service will return it with no additional postage charged to you.
    • If you open the package and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.
    • If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.

Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.
    If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.

Last edited by Sandy Navas; December 18th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
    HandsomeRyan and SallyO'Sews like this.

A bird in the hand makes you need to wash it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast