Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Sandy Navas's Avatar Sandy Navas is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much is my antique Singer sewing machine worth?

In a comment under a picture of one of my antique sewing machines (well, almost antique), someone wanted to know how to determine the price of an old machine.

There are a couple of different things when considering the value of your antique sewing machine. First who will be buying it, collectors are mostly interested in pre 1900s sewing machines where quilters and seamstresses prefer post 1900s. When you sell you will need to know a few things about your sewing machine like what model number it is, what it is made out of and does it work. It will fetch a higher price if it is in good working order no matter who you are considering selling it to. Singer offers help on identifying your exact make and model as well as valuation services.

http://www.ismacs.net/sewing_machine...ine_worth.html

http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx

I don't think of my skin as saggy.
    It's just a relaxed fit.

HdWench's Avatar HdWench is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How much is my antique Singer sewing machine worth?

tHANKS OOOPS sorry -- thanks Sandy :-)
    Debbie and my cat "Kids" Bonnie (18), KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)
    Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HdWench View Post
    tHANKS OOOPS sorry -- thanks Sandy :-)
    I thought for a minute that you were sending me Tom Hanks!

You be most welcome - I thought it was you who asked but couldn't get back to the post easily . . .

It's just a relaxed fit.

madampolo's Avatar madampolo is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I still long for my grandmother's old pump machine that my mother wouldn't let me have in 1960. I am sure it was a post-1900 machine. Thanks for the links!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Kendra Long's Avatar Kendra Long is offline Senior Member
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a singer treadle machine from a family friend. Based on the research I've been able to find on it, I think it was made in 1935. It needs some cleaning up and some repair, but it is very neat!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra Long View Post
    I just got a singer treadle machine from a family friend. Based on the research I've been able to find on it, I think it was made in 1935. It needs some cleaning up and some repair, but it is very neat!

Kendra, you need to come over after Christmas and see my 'bounty'. I have cleaned and restored about 15-16 old Singers so far. Just got a new treadle cabinet for a replacement on one machine whose cabinet is a disgrace!

It's just a relaxed fit.

janluna's Avatar janluna is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had my Great Grandmother's machine. I learned on a treadle machine. One day Daddy asked me to get him a book from the attic. I went up and saw this tiny black treadle machine. The cabinet was pretty, and the only cover for the machine was a beautiful box that matched the cabinet. My GGM was a seamstress. She made clothes for people in Perry, NY. And in Rochester, NY once she had a ride on a "buggy with an engine", she decided she would work in Rochester, and go home and sew for the people of Perry on the weekends. Once I heard these stories from my Grandfather and Dad I wanted to make that machine hum. We didn't have the money to get it checked then. I was 12 or so. Daddy and Grandpa gave it to me. I was thrilled. My parents split when I was 16. My Mother threw my machine away. I was devastated. She waited until Joe and I had our own place. She knew I was coming back to get it. She was so angry with my Dad, that she threw it away out of spite. Broke my heart. I wouldn't care how much money a machine was worth, I'd want one for the memories. Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Granny Judy's Avatar Granny Judy is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going back after Christmas to look at a treadle Singer.. DD#1 & I were antiquing and found so many goodies PLUS wore me out in the process. The price tag was $250.00 for cabinet (good shape) machine and lots of extra goodies with a manuel. 2 belts and several bobbins. I didn't see the bobbin winder but found one on line that seemed resonable.

I too, learned to sew on a treadle at my Grams house. She was very fussy with her machine and I was lucky enough to be one of the few G/kids she taught how to use it. I often wondered what happened to that machine......

Sandy, Thank You for those links.. I'll be checking out the seriel number first before I lay down the Cash.... Hugs for your knowledge and help.

Kendra Long's Avatar Kendra Long is offline Senior Member
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great! PM me once everything settles down! Merry Christmas!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    I am going back after Christmas to look at a treadle Singer.. DD#1 & I were antiquing and found so many goodies PLUS wore me out in the process. The price tag was $250.00 for cabinet (good shape) machine and lots of extra goodies with a manuel. 2 belts and several bobbins. I didn't see the bobbin winder but found one on line that seemed resonable.

I too, learned to sew on a treadle at my Grams house. She was very fussy with her machine and I was lucky enough to be one of the few G/kids she taught how to use it. I often wondered what happened to that machine......

Sandy, Thank You for those links.. I'll be checking out the seriel number first before I lay down the Cash.... Hugs for your knowledge and help.
    Judy, I really think $250 is way too much for a treadle in a cabinet - unless it is truly spectacular. The most I have ever paid for one (other than one of the Featherweights) is $100 in a cabinet. I realize we are in different parts of the country but no way, Jose!

It's just a relaxed fit.